How long should a T-Shirt last?

Discussion in 'Just Talk' started by wau5, Jun 8, 2017.

1. wau5

wau5 Active Member

For probably past 5years I have bought my tshirts from Primark , I only buy tshirts from them as the rest of the stuff they sell is cheap fast fashion **** that doesn't lasts, But the Tshirts are Decent and they are only £2 or £2.5 a piece for a cotton tshirt.

But I'm always wondering why do they wear out so fast? I get maybe 20 washes for a tshirt before it starts to show some wear and starts to loose its shape and holes start to appear, than I use them to do some dirty work/than use them as rags.
    I only wear a tshirt for max 1day as they stink up so 20days for a piece of clothing sounds like an awful short time?

Realistically How long should a cotton tshirt last? (how many washes? ) I would happily pay 5-6x more for a branded tshirt if It would last also 5-6x times more but somehow I don't think that's really the case nowadays with all this fast fashion ****? ;)

2. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Wind up for sure :)

3. wiggy

wiggy Screwfix Select

I guess a lot would depend on what other items you wash them with.
    If you put them in with jeans and work trousers I wouldn't think they wouldn't last as long as if you where to just wash them with other t-shirts.
    Maybe you have a particularly strong sweat going on which is rotting the fabric.
    Are you obese by any chance?

4. facilities

facilities Guest

Ok I'll bite, use a cooler wash and don't tumble dry let dry naturally out of sunlight

5. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

Washing machine, tumble dryer? Have you seen the price of those things???

6. facilities

facilities Guest

Who mentioned washing Machine! I was referring to washing in the sink using cooler water, that's how my dragon does it, although it does make her hands a bit rough and sore ;)

7. masterdiy

masterdiy Screwfix Select

How long should a T-Shirt last?

Till T Time.

Astramax likes this.
  8. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Why don't you buy them from lidl?

9. wau5

wau5 Active Member

**** off ******.

Astramax likes this.
  10. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

11. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Touchy T Watt, thought you would have bought them from Primate :D:D:D:D:D:D:p:p:p:p

Last edited: Jun 8, 2017
  12. Crowsfoot

Crowsfoot Screwfix Select

Just after large sporting events have past you can usually pick up the unsold top quality merchandise t shirts really cheaply. They last for years and years. Last season's football shirts of your favourite team you can get them cheap as chips and the quality is outstanding.

13. Crowsfoot

Crowsfoot Screwfix Select

14. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Buy fruit of the loom heavy weight off ebay. Some good deals. Last for ages

Astramax, gadget man and Paul12345 like this.
  15. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Yep, same here!

16. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

Yes FOTL or Gilden ones are very good, used by rock band merchandisers, I've got some that are 15 + years old and still going strong.

leesparkykent likes this.
  17. fillyboy

fillyboy Screwfix Select

Two years out of a T shirt?, you need to work harder KIAB.

18. Rondo

Rondo New Member

I always wondered why shirts from different brands wear down at different stages while having the same components. Is it possible that some companies cheat when mentioning 100% cotton?

19. Rondo

Rondo New Member

I also hate it when prints on clothing deteriorate. I bought a shirt with my favorite skateboard logo printed on it, and it looked awful just after two months of wear. Now I’m looking for a company that does embroidery near me, and hopefully, it will last for more than 2 friggin months.

20. FUNDIMOLD

FUNDIMOLD Active Member

I still have a T shirt that I got in 1980 in Venice. I tried it on for a laugh and I looked like a bag of spuds packed in to a condom. Ho hum, £2.50 down the drain :(