How long should bath/shower valve thermostatic cartridges last?

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Webbo1963, Feb 25, 2018.

1. Webbo1963

Webbo1963 New Member

We have a Bathstore bath/shower mixer. After 3 years the water temp started dropping. At maximum level it was ok to shower but not for a hot bath. We replaced the thermostatic cartidge and it was ok, but after only 15 months the same thing has happened. Tried servicing/cleaning the filters which hasn't helped, there was no discernable buildup of scale. The flow cartridge has gone on average every 2 years as well.

Thinking of replacing the whole thing with maybe a Grohe valve but have noticed the replacement cartridges seem a lot more expensive

Just wondering how long in peoples experience the thermostatic cartridges should last?
    Thanks in advance for any advice

2. candoabitofmoststuff

candoabitofmoststuff Screwfix Select

I don't know if it's normal, but our Mira Excel thermostatic shower was installed in 1998... I replaced the cartridge, (because it was getting stiff), in 2011, so that's about 13 years.
    We had an extension built and an aqualisa fitted in 2004... that is the original cartridge, but it too is starting to feel stiff and I expect I'll replace it soon... so that's a similar timescale.

Don't know how typical that is.
    Water is fairly hard I think... Just inside NW corner of M25

Regards,
    Cando

3. The Teach

The Teach Screwfix Select

As long as the shower is installed and commissioned correctly they should be trouble free,regular servicing is often forgotten about o_O

Extract from a well known shower brand. All products manufactured and supplied by Bristan are safe providing they are installed correctly and receive regular maintenance in accordance with these instructions.

The cartridge can be removed then dismantled exposing the wax capsule,piston and valve body and cleaned with killrock scale remover. Reassemble with new o rings if required ensuring any moving parts are greased.
    The inside of the mixer also needs checking for scale,clean filters,operational nrv's. Then its all reassembled and commissioned checking flow temperature, flow rates and safety shutdown.

candoabitofmoststuff The area you mentioned is well known hard water area,descaled 100's of boilers in that area.

:(