How long to fit a Kitchen?

Discussion in 'Kitchen Fitters' Talk' started by ukwoody, Feb 21, 2004.

1. ukwoody

ukwoody New Member

Hi all,

Just curious. Just finished my first kitchen fit. A 'U' shaped affair with 7 wall units, 2 tall housings and 9 base units. 3worktops fixed into the U shape and two cuts outs. With very fancy extractor, under lighting, hob and sink cutout it took me 6 days, including making up some boxing over a soil pipe.. It was just me and a female friend to assist me.
    Is this a reasonable time for a single fitter? How long does the average fitter take?

Incidently, are there many kitchen fitters who work on their own? How do you get on or is it far better/quicker to have a mate?

many thanks all,
    Woody

2. bodget&scarpers

bodget&scarpers New Member

well from 3 days 4 a dry kitchen,up 2 a long time 4 a full job,depends on the size and the hassle!!and deliveres

3. woodsmith

woodsmith New Member

woody, it's always better to have a mate;)

last kitchen I did took 12 days to do 99% then three months while MFI sent the last bits to finish the job and get paid:(

4. Tangoman

Tangoman Well-Known Member

OK - Thinking s..t! Sounds like the kitchen I am planning to fit soon. Never done one before and I'm doing it on my tot! So if it took you two 6 full days, then I guess my aim to finish it in 3 weekends and weekday eves while holding down a FT job is a bit omtimistic!

Oh well - better pp the dinner party!

Tango

p.s. How did you fit the worktops? I'm a bit apprehensive about trying to get the joints right on the one in the middle! Any tips would be highly appreciated!

5. spike

spike Guest

PIece of advice: Do not rip out any of the existing kitchen until you have made up the new carcasses, helps find the damaged and missing parts, also check the sink at this stage as it is likely to be damaged, last two I've done have been (1 from Wickes, 1 from B&Q). Here's a very useful link to try for the worktop scenario. http://www.kitchensfitted.co.uk/ExternalMedia/article5.php

I fit kitchens on my own usually 7-8 days depending on plumbing/electrical alterations and invariably delivery!
    I started a B&Q one in January and been back today to fit the worktops going back sometime in March to do the doors and cornice !!!!!!!! GREAT SALE- sold out but keep selling!

6. ormus1

ormus1 New Member

my mate worked for moben yrs ago. he reckons to do one kitchen per week, (on average). ie five days.

7. Gotcher

Gotcher New Member

my mate worked for moben yrs ago. he reckons to do
    one kitchen per week, (on average). ie five days.

That sounds as if he is experienced.

Gotcher

8. woodsmith

woodsmith New Member

ormus was he working on his own or did two men take 5 days?

9. Tangoman

Tangoman Well-Known Member

Thanks Spike, but err a bit l8. I took out my kitchen a couple of weeks back now, Busy at moment rewiring and replastering it.

I've read up on cutting the worktops, that isn't the problem. More like how to physically arrange things. Like the kitchen is U shaped and the worktops on left and back go wall to wall. The right side is the only one stopping short and that's up against a full height cupboard. Planning to put both male joins on the centre piece.
    Presuming I cut them to length first, stick them in place with the centre one balanced on top of the other two, mark up for the joins, cut the first male, check, cut the second male and check. Then do the females and pray! Lastly taking everything back out again to cut holes for the sink and hob.

Anything wrong with this approach. Any tips on what the worst bits are?

Cheers

Tango

10. mj

mj Guest

Spike, if your a good tradesman don't associate yourself with the **** that B&Q sell. There are plenty of good quality kitchen suppliers out there gagging to get hold of good fitters.

11. ukwoody

ukwoody New Member

Spike, (Or any one else who fits on their own). how do you manage the worktops by yourself?
    I'm lucky, the lady designer I'm fitting for, uses good quality System 6 ready built carcases, (excluding the L shpaes which need to be put together) but the 4M worktops are a killer even for 2!

I hear of pairs of fitters that fit in three days, do the custonmers not mind you taking longer as a single person?

regards to all, Woody

12. kesh

kesh New Member

I know what u mean those 4m work tops are a pain to move about on your own (I generally eat loads of spinach the day before lol).
    It can be done by someone who is not a muscle bound freak of nature.
    I just move about really slowly, & cut it to a reasonable length at the first opportunity. If that length happens to be 3.8m then you need a mate to help lift it onto the carcasses!

13. spike

spike Guest

Mj- I fit wht the customer purchases! Usually!

RE: 4M worktop. It is all in the balance and careful slow movement

14. spike

spike Guest

If you explain at the quoting stage the approx time to install you usually find the customer is quite happy.
    As you probably know Good Communication is the key to Success!

15. ColG

ColG New Member

I usually do the full works - units, plumbing, sparks, tiling and flooring. Current one I'm working on which includes utility and full decoration to kitchen and breakfast areas - I reckon on 4 weeks to complete.

As regards worktops, had to do a 4m breakfast bar, even with 2 it was effin heavy - lucky to have father-in-law to lend a hand with two handed jobs but usually on my own.

Problem with many jobs is the unknown. Current job had vinyl floor throughout that was fully stuck down - had to hire a floor scraper to get the stuff up - has added a day to the job.

Col