How long to leave bonding before skimming over?

Discussion in 'Other Trades Talk' started by Jonny Round Boy, Feb 13, 2008.

1. Jonny Round Boy

Jonny Round Boy New Member

I need some advice. I did a plastering course a few weeks ago as we've just bought a house, and the whole lot will need doing eventually!

To start with, I'm just practising on the walls in the cellar. After hacking off the old plaster & priming it, I've just put bonding on one of the walls, but I don't know how long I should leave it before skimming over it. I'm guessing it should be done when it gets firm, but before it fully dries out? Is this correct? Or should I let it dry properly before skimming?

TIA,

JRB

2. ecm

ecm New Member

Did yer not get a copy of The White Book with yer course?

3. Jonny Round Boy

Err, dunno.

I guess not...

TBH, I did get some printed info from the course, but that has been 'temporarily mislaid' due to the move...

4. Brummie Taffy

Brummie Taffy New Member

Can skim over bonding after a couple of hours or so which should be enough time for it to set. Can leave til next day if big area for instance and then wet down or use pva on it. If skimming over straight after set then skim straight onto.

This is obviously assuming that you realise that if you're doing your cellar it needs to be waterproofed properly before attempting such a task or you are likely to be ******* in the wind!

5. bigjules

bigjules New Member

Did yer not get a copy of The White Book with yer
    course?

Howdyer know that it was a British Gypsum course??

Could've been Knauf...........

6. Jonny Round Boy

Cheers Taffie,

I damped it down a bit & skimmed it this morning. No need to worry about damp anyway - it's nice and dry down there.

7. ­

­ New Member

> I did a plastering course a few weeks ago

> I don't know how long I should leave it before skimming over it.

That was a good course then!