How many 100% waterproof silicones are there?

Discussion in 'Screwfix' started by Phil_from_London, Oct 8, 2021.

Tags:
  1. Phil_from_London

Phil_from_London New Member

CT1, as demonstrated, "appears" to be the only silicone that boasts it's waterproof. Surely there's more than 1?

OB1: Everytime I ask in a DIY merchants no one will give me a straight yes or no answer as to whether its waterproof or not.

2. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

Not wishing to appear pedantic Phil but most silicone sealants will provide a waterproof seal once cured but cannot be used in the wet unlike CT1 (and a host of other polymer sealant/adhesives) however CT1 is not a silicone (that's the pedantic bit).

Fish tanks are held together with silicone sealant for instance and bath and shower enclosures are silicone sealed and watertight (but we tend to hear about the ones that aren't on here)

What is your end objective and why won't CT1 suffice?

Last edited: Oct 8, 2021
    Phil_from_London and pppmacca43 like this.
  3. Phil_from_London

That's genuinely interesting. I was looking to plug a small hole between two fixed roofing tiles ( I can't get on the roof so going to have to tackle this from the inside ) so on that basis OB1 should be sufficient(?).

4. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

Probably. If you read the reviews someone has sealed a leak in a swimming pool but someone else says it doesn't stick to wet surfaces....
    I have used CT1 and Soudal Fix All Crystal successfully in wet conditions.

Phil_from_London likes this.
  5. Phil_from_London

Fix all Crystal sounds perfect. It's much cheaper too. A million thank you's.

WillyEckerslike likes this.
  6. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

All the polymer hybrid types like the clear, white and black are waterproof

7. Camperdown

Camperdown New Member

I think the difference is which sealants are suitable for permanent immersion.

'Normal' silicones are suitable for showers, baths, windows, roofs, etc. where they will get wet periodically and then dry out, but CT01 (and others - I just don't know which ones) are suitable for permanent immersion.

As an example, I have a water feature which I sealed with.general purpose clear silicone and after about 12 months the silicone started to peel off and come apart. I drained the water feature, stripped off the old silicone and re-sealed it with CT01. It has now been about 2 years and it looks exactly like the day I put it on.

Depends on the job you are needing to use it for.....

Phil_from_London likes this.
  8. Phil_from_London

At £12 a tube the stuff is not cheap.