How many bags to a bulk bags?

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Gerrofski, Mar 7, 2010.

1. Gerrofski

Gerrofski New Member

As the title says, roughly how many "small" bags would be equivalent to a bulk bag?

I have a figure of 40 in mind but I dont where that came from. Anyone know?

Cheers

2. bonsai

bonsai New Member

i,am pretty sure there is about 28 small bags to a bulk bag.

3. 36 to 40 assuming it's a ton bag, depending on how big your ton is.

4. plumb.bob

plumb.bob New Member

5. Mr GrimNasty

Mr GrimNasty Active Member

35 give or take - probably varies from place to place, hence the vague names 'jumbo' 'maxi' etc.

6. Teuchter

Teuchter New Member

Thirtyseven point eight.

7. Teuchter

Teuchter New Member

Give or take.

8. Mr GrimNasty

9. ­

­ New Member

So how many 25 kg bags are there in a 1000kg bag. Hmmmm, tricky.

Let's see.....

3 x 17 /%340 + 1/2 3/4 1000/25 X 44/7 = 40

yep, 40 it is.

10. ­

­ New Member

if the bulk bag is 900kg then....

ah, you work it out.

11. Mr GrimNasty

Few do 'genuine' 25kg small bags and 850kg is becoming the 'norm' for a biggy. Like I said, they all vary to stop you comparing prices & they appear competetive whilst slowly lowering the weight. Get it loose.

12. ecm

ecm New Member

Few do 'genuine' 25kg small bags and 850kg is becoming the 'norm' for a biggy.

True. They aren't all the same. I was stuck one day and couldn't get a load from my local indy merchant for whatever reason. I phoned up Jewson to place an order for a couple of grab bags. I asked them, (just to double check) to confirm they were tonne bags. After much ummming and erring they said "it depends". "On what?" I said "the type of aggregate you order" they replied. "Grit sand" I said, their reply, "<u>about</u> 0.8 tonnes"

Still, mustn't grumble :^O

13. Cliffe Packaging

Cliffe Packaging New Member

Surely 1000K bulk bags should carry 1 tonne, no less!

14. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

Very old post but the reason they are now not called tonne bags is down to good old weights and measures and trading standards, if they were still called tonne bags they would of course have to weigh a tonne, the problems arise when loading them the sand/ballast will be wet, it will then dry out while in storage this will reduce the weight of the bag, resulting in them being sold under weight, merchants get around this by just calling them Jumbo bags with no given weight, this way they can't be done for mis-selling. ;)

Jitender likes this.
  15. My 'tonne' is always 1000kg be it Hassium or Helium.

16. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

30 what???, 33.333333333333333333333333kg bags

17. l.richardson

l.richardson New Member

the answer lies in the area covered i.e. Wickes jumbo sharp sand covers 10sqm @ 50mm their maxi bag covers 1m x 03 for the same 50mm.

so it takes 3.33333 bags per sqm @ 50mm so it takes 33 bags approximately

they do not mention weight as that very much depends on how wet/or dry the sand is when bagged

18. When I get my bulk Aggregates, a "tonne bag" is usually about 850kg. they call it a "Bulk Bag".... their "Maxi Bags" are 40Kg. which equates to about 21-22 maxi bags to the bulk bag