How many socket outlets on a radial circuit

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by celconman, Apr 3, 2006.

1. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Hello everyone. This is my last post on this subject. I said previously that I have changed my ideas on radial circuits with regard to multiple socket outlets (not dedicated such as immersion heaters and the like) and that I would be indeed using be this technique. However after reading in depth from multiple of sources I will be keeping the ring circuit technique as I cannot see any advantage with radial circuits apart from neatness etc). From what information I have gleaned my original supposition that ring circuits are safer holds true and anyway I am old skool. Once again all your inputs on this subject was really well received and appreciated. JP.

2. Home Farm

Home Farm New Member

One area not touched on yet is energy conservation which I suspect will become more important over the next few years.

Assuming a 2.5 ring and a 4 mm radial are 'equally suitable' for the job the volt drop (i.e. energy wasted as heat) would be about half for the ring (r/4 x 4 / 2.5)than the radial.

3. plastic bertrand

plastic bertrand Active Member

I disagree with your statment JP.

4. plastic bertrand

plastic bertrand Active Member

One area not touched on yet is energy conservation
    which I suspect will become more important over the
    next few years.

Assuming a 2.5 ring and a 4 mm radial are 'equally
    suitable' for the job the volt drop (i.e. energy
    wasted as heat) would be about half for the ring (r/4
    x 4 / 2.5)than the radial.

If you talk about conservation then is it not the boring case that 2x2.5mm's use more placky and copper (yawn) than 1x4mm?

5. Pompey Sparks

Pompey Sparks New Member

This is a topic raised numerous times on Screwfix! If you search the forum you will find some really good (similar) threads!

I personally beleive in 4mm radials (where correction factors allow). I know ring finals have their advantages when correctly installed. When 'Mr DIY' comes along it turns into a different matter. The amount of ring finals I have inspected that have interconnections, figure eight arrangements or just broken altogether has brought me to this conclusion (not blaming it all on DIY, just most of it!).

A radial circuit is also quicker to test!

This is just my opinion - I don't think anyone can give a totally convincing answer either way!

6. Owain

Owain Member

I don't think adding a return leg to a radial to make it into a ring necessarily makes it unbalanced. With bedrooms and no fixed heating appliances you're very unlikely to have high point loads anyway.

One of the design features of the ring was that two existing 15A radials could be linked (with extra sockets in the new wiring, and changing the 15A to 13A sockets) and converted into a 30A ring, so best use could be made of existing wiring (this was post-War when materials were short)

7. Home Farm

Home Farm New Member

One area not touched on yet is energy conservation
    which I suspect will become more important over
    the
    next few years.

Assuming a 2.5 ring and a 4 mm radial are 'equally
    suitable' for the job the volt drop (i.e. energy
    wasted as heat) would be about half for the ring
    (r/4
    x 4 / 2.5)than the radial.

If you talk about conservation then is it not the
    boring case that 2x2.5mm's use more placky and copper
    (yawn) than 1x4mm?

This may or may not be true but you only fit it once and the energy benefits are there for 20/50 years. A 1% reduction in demand means one less power station in the future.

I also suspect that in line with current recycling legislation in the electrical industry, these materials will have to be recovered for recycle at the end of their useful life.

Whats the saying? We don't own the planet, we only borrow it from our children.