How much can I trim off a door?

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by legit, Apr 11, 2005.

1. legit

legit New Member

The house I'm rennovating is very old and as such the door lining heights vary from 74.25 to 77.5 inches. I would really like to fit 78 inch 4 panel Elveden doors from B&Q but the instructions say that I can only plane 5mm off top and bottom. Is this right because obviously we're talking a few inches and I would then have to think again.

Thanks in advance.

2. diyhopeful

diyhopeful Active Member

I've shortened these doors more than this and the reason they recommend 5mm is because of the way they are constructed. If you cut a huge amount off then you can cut through the dowels holding them together. They can then be drilled and re-dowelled and glued. They are cheap for a reason...

One other thing try and get as few knots as possible in your doors as all of the ones I bought with large knots have twisted as they've acclimatised.

May eventually swap them for clean pine doors.

B&Q do sell other sizes of eleveden doors though that may be a better fit.

3. panlid

panlid New Member

legit, do your self a favour and dont touch these doors from bnq. you will regret it if you care about the quality. absolute ****!!

4. legit

legit New Member

diyhopeful I've checked with b&q and a few other placed too and although they sell varying widths, everyone seems to supply 6 foot 6 tall doors. Well if I'm not willing to pay more than £20 quid per door that is! This redoweling you speak of is probably beyond my limited skills so I may have to call in the pros - push the price per door up but should still be cheaper overall...

SID, you have got me scared now, very scared since I've already payed for them. What's the problem with these doors? Just so you know this is a buy to let and all I'm looking for are 5 doors that aren't bowed and look reasonably nice. I will varnish the living daylights out of them!

Also will they take a mortice??

5. dirtydeeds

dirtydeeds New Member

legit, 6foot 6 is the standard door height in this country.

the house you have was probably built before door sizes were standardised. in otherwords each door was made to fit the built opening

if you cant afford better doors than what you have bought so be it. you have non standard size openings so get a real carpenter in to fit them DO NOT use a guy from the small adds who says £16 per door.

dont varnish cheap doors especially if they are knotty, paint them

out of curiosity where are the original doors?

6. legit

legit New Member

The original original doors are long gone, probably several houseowners ago. The doors I inherited were these c**y moulded things, they are down the local tip. Any reason why I can't varnish - the instructions explicitly say I can.

[Edited by: Forum Moderator]

7. dirtydeeds

dirtydeeds New Member

there is no reason on the planet why you cant varnish.

my personal reasons for painting is that knotty pine is very poor quality, very cheap wood and i always paint poor quality wood

knotty pine doors are a very very clever marketing poly by the sheds to sell doors at "cheap" prices using the lowest quality timber avaliable

8. chappers

chappers Member

hence why if they are not warped and twisted when you hang them there is every chance they soon will be.
    Now you've got them you will probably have to stick with them but in future consider spending twice that and you will get a door that will hang ok and last.

9. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Put 3 hinges on them.
    Stain them to bring up lovely colours.
    I stained our knotty pine with sadolin light oak stain.
    Beautiful. One coat, then slight rub down,
    then very light top coat. I love them.

Yes, mortice latches.

Also, I took a lot off of some of them. OK Also, cut one in half, lengthways, took 2" out the middle and made saloon doors for airing cupboard

Bit naughty, but they were mine, so I could, and I did, and they are fine.

Handyandy - really

10. trustedman

trustedman New Member

How much can I trim off a door?

As much as you can pass through your saw.

Is this a joke?

11. bonnie the botch

bonnie the botch New Member

Im with ha , love the finnish you get with sadolin 2 pack, brill stuff . but im also in agreement with sid , these doors from bnq are ***** , yes you can trim as much as you like off of them provided you re strenghten the dowel joint but the actual quality of the notty pine doors give me a good dose of the diholia hi hey.