How much mortar for 1300 bricks

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by e30mark, Apr 7, 2004.

1. e30mark

e30mark Member

Hi guys,

Trying to price up my new garden wall, approx 1300 bricks. How much motar do you reckon i will need? I guess 4 bags of cement, and 20 bags of sand. Assuming the bags are 25kg each, does this sound right?

Thanks

2. Kirby Castle

Kirby Castle New Member

I recon about .4 of a square metre with a 10mm muck joint - round it up to 1/2 square meter - I think you are about right.

If you get the stuff from Wickes or B&Q you could always get a bit more and take back what you dont use.

3. T

T Member

1140 kg of soft sand should lay 1000 bricks.
    1 bag cement should lay 175 bricks.

4. e30mark

e30mark Member

Thaqnks for the replies,

KC - i reckoned it to be approx 0.4m squared too! hence my approximation of the quantities i listed.

BUILDER - you sure I need 1140kG per 1000 bricks? thats 1.14kG per brick, seems alot... With your figures i need to double up my estimates!

Taking a different angle for a moment, how much do you reckon a pro would charge to build 8 pillars (1.5 bricks wide, 6' tall) with 7 off 6' wide 5 brick high walls between the pillars. The remainder of the gap filled in with fence paneling....

Thanks again.

5. jmcbuilders

jmcbuilders New Member

Hi Builder is correct. If i understand the size of your wall approx price 3 Grand +vat

6. e30mark

e30mark Member

Thanks again for the replies,

i've got to carry this lot up a steep bank to get to the back of my garden...

I had worked the price out to be approx £3k, nice to know I got something right!

Signing off, worrying about carrying all that brick and muck up a 25' terrace! Maybe she would like a nice chain link fence instead...

Thanks again