How much plasterboard adhesive?

Discussion in 'Other Trades Talk' started by nokd, Mar 24, 2005.

1. nokd

nokd New Member

Morning,
    can any1 tell me how deep i can make the dabs to stick p/board on to? I ask bcos i've got 2 board over some 15mm pipes onto brick, so i need enough adhesive on to stick out beyond the pipes. I've had a go at putting on big dabs but they seem to fall straight off the wall. what's the best method of doing it?
    Ta

2. put it on the board not the wall.

Then push board into place. Make sure the wall is washed down or primered so you get good adhesion, no point going to all this effort and trying to stick it all to an old dusty wall.

3. wgr

wgr New Member

sorry gotta disagree there, slap it on the wall, mix nice and stiff slap it on the wall hard 4 dabs along on 4 levels for 8x4 board and more if you like then level on the board with a spirit level

4. bathstyle

bathstyle Active Member

I must admit that I do slap it on the wall, it does take a bit of practise to make it stick and to get the cosistency right. Also the right trowel helps, I use a small bucket trowel

5. panlid

panlid New Member

f***g hell!!!! is that someone disagreeing with mudster???? well i live and breath..

[Edited by: admin3]

6. dj.

dj. New Member

personally i would dab the wall, but i don't think it really makes much difference. it would probably be easier for a diy'r to lay the board on the floor and dab the board then gravity won't let it slip down the wall.

dj.

7. Bob Property

Bob Property New Member

Never mind how to do it - how will you access these pipes in future? You are not supposed to cover them up by hiding them behind a sheet of plasterboard.

8. panlid

panlid New Member

**** me bob if that was the case then we would put all pipes and cables outside the wall!.

9. Bob Property

Bob Property New Member

Calm down SID - it was only a little caution. He won't be happy if the pipes have only just been put there and don't get checked until after he's put the plasterboard up.

10. panlid

panlid New Member

so your saying now it is ok to cover them with p/b

11. its ok, plaster board is easy to cut through to access the pipes, and even easier once wet from a leak!

Having said that only once have i cut a plasterboard wall to access leaking pipes run in studwork!

12. wgr

wgr New Member

yes cutting through and repairing isnt a big deal if theres a leak, as normally then would be in the wall..

13. panlid

panlid New Member

spike i know its allright its just bob property backtracking a huge step. must think i was born yesterday to not see it..

14. panlid

panlid New Member

bob did i see somewhere you are one of these diy propertydevelopers/ instant builder?

15. we've all back tracked at some point on here!!! and people just like to throw a spanner in the works, when an answer is given! :)

16. panlid

panlid New Member

spike, you know me.. even when utter dribble comes out of my mouth(most days) then ill never back track. i plough on regardless. i will fight them on the beaches, in the fields. i will fight in the streets and the sea.
    I SHALL NEVER SURRENDER!!!

17. wgr

wgr New Member

who watches property ladder see these people work in an office all their life and then buy a house do it up and make a cock of cos they have no idea about the trade.....

i watch it for sarah beenys **!!!

18. Bob Property

Bob Property New Member

Oh dear - I go away for a few minutes to see if I can find the exact rules and 6 posts appear. I can't find the exact rule but I think that, strictly to regs, you are supposed to put the pipe in a duct or the like.
    For the sake of the original poster of this thread, I hope his pipes are not on some long clips and he is trying to cover pipes sticking 30mm off the wall.
    And, irrelevant to the question asked in this thread, these days I am "doing up" property to sell and doing bits of building and plumbing work.

19. panlid

panlid New Member

oh dear indeed. you mean you had a look at you diy manual. as for the clips, he didnt say 15milly pipes on clips did he?. who would be stupid enough to try and dab over that? hey bob?mmm? bob???.
    and for the last sentance, as i said you are one of these property developers/instant builder...

20. dj.

dj. New Member

don't think the pipe has to go in a duct if it is behind dot and dab but i think it has to be covered with tape.