How much roughly refurb house?

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Sophiaaa, Jan 14, 2022.

1. Sophiaaa

Sophiaaa New Member

Hi we are planning to refurb my grandma house into a modern looking house and we have no clue how much is xyz. We are planning to refurb the kitchen/ bathroom, add new porch in front + new front door, wooden floors (currently carpets) and wall painted in every room and wondered if anyone could give a ball park figure - 5k, 10k, 20k, 30k, 40k for each etc. I know it all depends on size and material but we are planning to go on the cheap side... Maybe not the cheapest one but in the middle. Nan house is not big. Again I don't have the exact measurements but I would like a roughly estimate so I know what I'm looking for when I get quotes :)

If you had your house refurb how much did you pay etc?

Just wondering is B&Q good? Is it cheap/expensive etc? I'm from the west midlands if that helps.

Also is there anything I could do to save money? I can paint the walls I guess but what kind of paint do I need? How do you paint corners? How do you paint witbout spilling paint on carpet? How many times are you suppose to paint over paint? Are you suppose to strip all wallpaper first? If yes am I suppose to smooth the surface? Do you paint wall first or paint wall last? I want white modern walls. Sorry for the dumb questions

I really appreciate everyone's help.

2. jonathanc

jonathanc Screwfix Select

What about electrics heating and insulation? Do they need updating? No point starting on refurb without getting basic services right

just pumps likes this.
  3. quasar9

quasar9 Screwfix Select

I worry that you are asking such basic questions as “how to paint without spilling “ so there is much to be learnt in a short time. But this is a starter for 10.

start from top ! Does the roof, gutters etc need doing. These are priorities as if they are leaking they will spoil everything inside that’s been renewed. The building needs to be weather proofed.

next comes windows, doors and anything external that needs fixing . Get things painted on outside if scaffolding has already gone up for the roof. Attend to windows, doors and other external woodwork too.

on the inside, services first ! Plumbing (inc any heating ) electrics, gas. You don’t want to start digging up, chasing walls etc after decorating.

insulation where required

if you need bathrooms or kitchen refurbished, do that before you move in.

then internal walls and ceiling, there is a range of options depending on its condition and your desire for final finish. At one end of scale it’s a case of making good superficially (just painting) or total removal of plaster and replastering.

Finally painting and flooring.

the costs will vary hugely on the starting condition and where you want to end up,!

Last edited: Jan 14, 2022
    just pumps and Mr Rusty like this.
  4. pppmacca43

pppmacca43 Super Member

On my fourth refurb at the moment, so many variables that no one can give you an even remotely accurate cost. If it’s just a simple decoration it won’t be so bad.
    For example though in my last house four years ago, we gutted the place,redecorated throughout, new boiler, new kitchen, new bathroom, plastered walls where needed, new radiators, electrical alterations/add ons, new garage door, new front door, bricked up an external door, new French doors, new internal doors, landscaped garden, new flooring, block paved driveway, new fencing…. The list goes on.
    The vast majority of the work including plumbing, heating, electrics, flooring, plastering, garden, decorating, building works etc was done by me and family members as we are all in trades and we still probably spent at least £30-40k on that(not sure of the final figure tbh). Can’t imagine how much it would cost if you were to pay someone to do it. The house before that cost about £30k to refurb too, again all the work pretty much carried out by ourselves.

Mr Rusty, Muzungu and WillyEckerslike like this.
  5. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

OK, I'll play. Assuming terrace or small semi - Superficial "polish" £10-15K, Major update but no services or structural £20-30K, full refurb, new heating, electrics, roof sorted, new kitchen, bathroom etc etc £50- £80K

Really rough, very very much a guess. The alternative suggestion:- 2X what you think you can get away with...

PhilSo, Astramax and pppmacca43 like this.
  6. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

You also need to watch that grandma is careful whilst the sparks are in because they might not put the floor boards back overnight!

7. Truckcab79

Truckcab79 Screwfix Select

I’d go with this but if your initial questions reflect your level of knowledge and skill I’d suggest that you’re maybe not best place to do the work yourself. On the basis that a substantial part of the cogs is going to be labour I’d get a couple of local companies to give you quotes. Be straight with them and ask for a price for bare minimum to tart it up for sale and also a price to sell on as a turn key modern home.

without being too blunt are you doing this up for Nan to enjoy living in or has she passed away and you’re getting it ready for sale? Makes a big difference to what you should do.

pppmacca43 likes this.
  8. pppmacca43

pppmacca43 Super Member

I wondered the same. If it’s to make more money I would probably say save yourself the stress and hassle and sell it as is. Unless you can do the work yourself there probably isn’t enough money to be made to make it worth it. Obviously without seeing it and knowing the exact extent of the works needed, or wanted, no one can say for sure tho.
    If it’s to live in or for your grandma to make it nicer for her then that’s a different matter.

9. Sophiaaa

Sophiaaa New Member

Hi the thing is my parents have a trusty builder ready but he hasn't quoted us yet because he is busy apparently. But if you could guess how much you think each would cost + labour? The guy posted above scared me when he said £50-80k!!

Yes it's for grandma to live. She's 86 alive and kicking :)

10. pppmacca43

pppmacca43 Super Member

Pretty much all good builders are very very busy at the moment.
    Honestly, no one can give you an accurate estimate there are way too many variables. The best way to do it is get three quotes off local builders/tradesman for the work u want carried out and go with the one that you want.

11. Jimbo

Jimbo Screwfix Select

Basically you can spend as little or as much as you like.

Mr Rusty likes this.
  12. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

as @Jimbo says. My top guess was basically back to bare brick shell and start again, with perhaps a little extension etc.

13. Sophiaaa

Sophiaaa New Member

Ok thank you :)
    I personally don't want to spend over £20k. I don't even know if thats possible or not anymore haha.

I got a feeling it will cost over 30k :(

14. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

Does your grandma want a modern looking house or are you preparing for when she doesn't need to live there anymore?

It will cost quite a bit more to do the work if Grandma is still living in the house. If she can live elsewhere while the work is being done then that's okay but even then you're going to have to strip the house of her furniture and belongings if you want the work done efficiently.

It sounds like you don't have the skills to do much of the work yourself so you will be paying for those. You may make a saving by buying materials yourself - kitchen/bathroom for instance but there's nothing to be gained by circumventing the first fix materials required for plumbing and electrics - no contractor/tradesman will thank you for that.

One thing's for sure - we're not going to give you any meaningful answers based on the information you've provided. You must get people round to the property and explain clearly what you want if you want any idea how much this will cost.

I fear you're in for a shock I'm afraid

I-Man likes this.
  15. BiancoTheGiraffe

BiancoTheGiraffe Screwfix Select

How old is the house?

16. From a sparky point of view and this is a seriously rough guess ...... A basic 2 bed rewire would be £2500 ball park....3 bed £3500 and 4-5 bed would be £5-7k.

I had my house renovated about 4 years ago and that was an auction 3 bed detached with a tree coming through the back french doors........and poop smeared up the walls from squatters....pretty bad.....

All in I think I paid about £95,000 to have it fully restored incl extension and new roof

Hope that helps...

17. Mike83

Mike83 Screwfix Select

Kitchen 7-10k
    Bathroom 2-4k
    Wooden flooring 3k
    New front and back doors 2k
    Painting and decorating throughout 3-5k
    These figures are me just trying to help out and could be out a little. Also based on a cheaper finish using some cheaper products. But if fitted well will still look decent.
    A rubbish tradesman will make an expensive kitchen/bathroom look cheap. But a decent tradesmen can make a cheaper kitchen/bathroom look good.
    Figures can vary depending on finish you want and the starting off condition before work starts.
    You can set a budget for each task and see what can be done with that budget.
    If you need new heating that could be 3-4k
    Rewire 3k.
    Good luck.

stevie22 likes this.
  18. JOMEL

JOMEL Active Member

Hi there

Well I am 88 years old now.
    I know you seem to want to help Gran out some.
    But I would hate like hell to have all that buzzing around me now.
    I say fix whats required.
    Just let the lady have some peace.
    Plus she knows where every thing is now.
    Dont hide them in replacement cupboards.
    Any ways what has her comments been?
    Is it her cash or yours that would be spent ? Just a thought.

Johnny M

Jord86 and PhilSo like this.
  19. stevie22

stevie22 Screwfix Select

Wise words Johnny.

20. Truckcab79

Truckcab79 Screwfix Select

Good to hear.
    As many have said it’s impossible to answer your question without a whole load more information. The suggestion of £50-£80k is realistic. Get several quotes and compare them.

Very much depends on your spec. I’ve just finished fitting a kitchen for a client. Perfectly nice but nothing amazing kitchen from Homebase 3m square room. They supplied units which cost them £8k. I’ll bill them another £7k for labour and additional materials. Just about to start a bathroom. Again, nothing super-special. No change out of £12k. There’s your £30k gone already.

spannerw likes this.