How much to expect to pay to hang 7 doors?

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Nick D, Jan 18, 2019.

1. retiredsparks

retiredsparks Super Member

Looks like I brought my 3 kids up wrong... two sons at 6' 2" and 6' 3" and a daughter .......not a dent or ding anywhere.
    :D
    Rs

2. retiredsparks

Use a scrap door...practice hinge cutting, lock fitting, planing etc.
    Basic tools. Use You Tube.

You have to learn these skills.

RS

3. LEH

LEH Active Member

I did five in my place, 4 were the solid core doors from Premdor, and one hollow from Wickes. Agree the Wickes doors are good value as far as cheap moulded doors are concerned.

It was 'easier' in my case as I also replaced the linings. More work, but then I had plumb, square linings to fit the doors to, made with the right size openings so I could just hang the door without having to shoot it in. As mentioned above, my last one was the best in terms of neatness, but they all swing fine and don't bind.

You'll need basic tools like a set of chisels and mallet, marking gauge, plane(r), drill driver plus bits for fitting latch, hardware, etc. If this is literally the only thing you're ever going to do and you don't have them, probably doesn't make sense cost-wise.

There's a good guide here:

https://www.carpentry-tips-and-tricks.com/Hanging-Doors.html

Also some on Youtube. It's hard to say whether you could get a good finish, we don't know you, how 'handy' you are, how careful you are, if you've got a good feel etc.

When deciding whether to DIY I always go through the most detailed guide I can find, then honestly think about my skills and experience, whether I think I can do a good job or not. Also what is the cost if I mess up. A £20 hollow door isn't much of a loss, but a nice hardwood one may well be. There's room to hide with a painted moulded door as you can fill any nicks etc. Still need to get the fit right. I wouldn't DIY a hardwood door as there's no room to hide on finish. I wouldn't DIY a fire door because it needs to be perfect to do its job and be safe.

4. Nick D

Nick D New Member

Thanks everyone for your replies - I haven't got huge DIY experience but I am learning. However, I might pass on doing it myself for now.
    I had resorted to sites like mybuilder etc to find handymen in the past with some bad experiences. Does anyone have recommendations around the Luton area for a good carpenter to help out with these doors?

5. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

There was a poster on this forum Chippie224 whom lived 30 mins away from you. It would be well within his capabilities

6. Isitreally

Isitreally Super Member

Doesn't GB live in or around Luton. ?

7. Isitreally

Isitreally Super Member

£500.00 on cheap tools??? What tools do you use if £500.00 is cheap.

To be able to hang a door you could spend less than a hundred including a battery drill for DIY purposes only.

8. mcooper2406

mcooper2406 Active Member

I think it's a bit of the old teach a man to fish thing though.

I've no doubt wasted time and money doing jobs in the past. The first time I tried to skim it went all kinds of wrong, had to take it all off back to the brick and start again. No doubt costing more than a proper plaster would at day one. However as I'm renovating a whole house I can now skim a room quite effectively (far from perfect I might add but neither was the 'professional' I had at my last house).

So I guess my point is, if you get satisfaction out of it, and it's a skill and tool's you'll use repeatedly it's probably worth it even if the end cost is comparable to a professional. Just my 2 cents though.

candoabitofmoststuff likes this.
  9. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

I would be surprised because he has said he keeps all his tools in his van at night :D

10. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Simple question. Once his doors are done (good or bad) is the guy going to use the tools he buys ever again? If so, crack on. If not, well, I stand by my previous comment.

Oh ok then :rolleyes: the guy said he wanted a good finish and I was going off the basis of tools from Screwfix not Lidl or Poundland, but here we go:

Cordless drill driver, all the assorted bits and pieces for said drill pozi bits, Phillips bits, a set of flat, auger or if top job forstner bits, sawhorses/workbench, circular saw and straightedge, clamps or spend ages planing half a mm each pass (cheap planer) off the bottoms of the doors to get the height right, door stand or faff about with a block and wedge, hammer, Stanley knife, combination square, marking gauge if old school, at least three chisel sizes, irwin hand jack plane is fifty quid alone, or get a power planer, either way it'll still be at least fifty quid if you want something that doesn't blow up, sandpaper, PVA glue and pins if he's got to fit a new batten to the bottoms of the doors as he's probably reduced the doors in height if the linings are old, even if we substitute circular saw for a new jacksaw which is a tenner, you honestly saying you can get everything for under £100?

Would you like a job as my financial controller?

mcooper2406 likes this.
  11. Isitreally

Isitreally Super Member

Nice list of which 90% isn't needed.

Just hung a hollow panel door here at home.

3/4" chisel.

12mm flat drill bit

25mm flat drill bit

Tape measure.

Pencil.

Hammer.

And of course a drill.

Door was a bit tight in frame at one point, this was cured by sanding it down with 60 grit paper and a sanding block.

As said it doesn't require all singing and dancing tools to be able to do it.

Granted it would be easier if you had better tools but at the end of the day, we all have to start somewhere and that isn't always the top.

If the doors are a lot smaller than the opening, then hiring a planner isn't that expensive and job satisfaction is priceless. :)

Don't knock aldi or Lidl tools, good value for money they are, if only used for DIY.

12. retiredsparks

With the plethora of good You Tube vids on most things and the price of economy range tools...I suggest it's a good idea to try to practice skills which will be useful in the future.
    Tradesmen have to earn a living so its not cheap to use them.
    Even simple jobs like a new solenoid valve on washing machine I suspect might cost 80 quid with call out etc (I dont know as i have never used a washing machine "engineer" :) )
    I can't do plastering which is a real skill......or go up on roofs anymore...so have to pay for those.
    RS

13. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

I understand more than anyone about starting at the bottom and working up, all the gear I've got has been bought through damn hard work, making mistakes and learning from them. You hung one, which luckily didn't require planing or trimming to fit the height, not 7. I assume you're also in a trade, so I would think you'd have a head start in how to make do with the tools you have, rather than a complete novice. And if you honestly think 90% of what I stated wouldn't be required when hanging doors then there's not much point me going any further is there, we'll agree to disagree.

14. This is the one area that divides opinion more than anything else for my clients when quoting a job, even on new build sites most would opt for 3 single doorsets as a maximum output per day and thats without removing old and with new straight linings!

15. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

Not in Luton. Leicestershire for the last 15 years. Used to work in Luton though.

Bare minimum for hanging a house full of doors is.

Some kind of trestles or workbench.

Cordless.

Planer or plane.

Flat bits.

Screwdriver bits

Stanley knife.

Hammer.

18mm chisel.

Cant really do a houseful sanding them to size by hand.

16. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Is it Stoppsley end or the other side?

17. Nick D

Nick D New Member

It's Round Green area so yes Stopsley end!

18. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

If you two want to exchange details in private - I am sure SF Pete will oblige

19. Nick D

Nick D New Member

Thanks, that would be great - how do we do that?

20. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Screwfix Pete is the moderator and "all seeing eye" on the forum. He will probably see this message and contact you