How much to hang a door ?

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Wet Walnut, Oct 22, 2007.

1. lamello

lamello New Member

The only time I will drop my price is if im putting new linings or casings in. Then I might go to about £60. The market dictates what the price is. Lots of punters dont like paying cheap prices. They appreciate that if you charge a high price you'll produce a quality job. Also I dont take a penny until the last screw goes in and I have never had a non payer. If you charge 20-30 a door you'll always have work sure but what you are doing is undervaluing yourself in my opinion.

2. lamello

lamello New Member

i was agreeing with you chip. I was disputing what fatdragon said.

3. chip off the block

chip off the block New Member

I charge as low as £30 but then will make £20 in the sale of the door etc.Also depends how many doors there is to hang. I have a job doing 18 in 1 house and half will be (nice/fancy)fire doors and i will charge by the day not the door as i havent put thecasings in so i dont know what to expect. I will supply all ironmogery so will profit on that side

4. lamello

lamello New Member

I never charge by the day for anything I like it all down in black and white before I get my tools out. I put around 20% on my doors and around 30% on my ironmongery. I also charge £5 per door for disposal of the old doors as well.

5. chip off the block

i try not to but this is a full second fix and the previous joiner has made a balls up of loads of things. And the customers are indecisive and i can spend 2hours a day discussing the job and get paid for it.

6. jamisonc

jamisonc New Member

Anyone fancy hanging 3 doors for me in TW1?! It involves making good existing frame (new doors to swing opp side etc).

That's after laying 75sqm of 4,5 & 6" oak t&g...

And maybe a shed load of skirting as well?

Needs to be bloody good though, it's in a period property renovation and I'm done with time wasters. Let me know by email. (jc_sf@xava.co.uk)

7. fatdragon

fatdragon New Member

ok, fair play. i felt that wet walnut was making a general enquiry about the cost of hanging a door. he specifies a basic, standard door, nothing fancy. £30 is a good rate for a basic, standard internal door (done properly). if the frames need attention then that's extra. obviously if the doors are heavy or full of glass or whatever, then add a bit more. there are always going to be other factors to consider on any job. i can see where you can charge £75 per door if you know the frames are likely to be all over the place and perhaps to call you greedy is a bit strong (sorry). a tad expensive perhaps.
    please don't assume that because i only charge £30 i do a lousy job of it.

8. Wet Walnut

Wet Walnut New Member

glad to see this question has drummed up some good responses, and thanks for your time guys, especially lamello, hope I have got to pay ya for it tho. lol

9. starlight tiles

starlight tiles New Member

£25 an internal with just your basic furniture,£80 a back door £100 front door.£120 upvc door

10. starlight tiles

no one i know would pay £75 to have 1 internal door fitted.you would get chased down the road if you asked for that round here,

11. Mr Mike

Mr Mike New Member

and where is that exactly Mazball ? errrm.....sorry Lennie ?

12. lamello

lamello New Member

I've hung loads of doors for £60 in your neck of the woods lennie. My price has gone up since last time i was up there. £25 a door. I would nt hang a door on a cuckoo clock for that. All off written quotes so theres no Rogue Traders action by the way

13. damo

damo New Member

Usualy £30 for internal softwood hollow core door, £40/£45 for internal hardwood doors, £55 to £75 for external front doors, £5 to £15 for casing/frame adjustment, £5 to £10 for disposal of existing doors all inclusive of standard ironmongary.
    Im in Blackpool Lancs area (North West).
    Damo

14. chip off the block

why 80 for a back door 100 for the front

15. lamello

lamello New Member

letterbox and yale i imagine

16. starlight tiles

believe it or not we have a joiner who works with us who still charges £15 to fit an internal regardless.

17. starlight tiles

charge what you want it's whether people are prepared to pay it.£75 to fit an internal i think not.
    businesses advertising in local paper 7 colonial doors supplied and fitted with ironmongery for £225 all inclusive.they've been trading for 20 years so there obviously not running a charity lambellead.say no more .

18. dirtydeeds

dirtydeeds New Member

lennie, put up or shut up

7 doors for £225 = £32 each including vat, cheapest door £15 , cheapest ironmongery £4

=£13 for labour, doors direct type places want 60% on the labour and the guy who does it has to pay tax

i doubt even polish carpenters will hang a door for £2.70

19. chip off the block

cheapest doors are £10 and if its a place that selling that many they will buy direct and get them cheaper

20. dirtydeeds

dirtydeeds New Member

on those calcs the guy who fits still only gets £6 after tax

ps

where DO you get doors at £10 INCLUDING vat, or for that matter plus vat