How much to quote?

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by help@agile-services.co.uk, Aug 6, 2007.

1. I am subscribed to a free trial of a site that gives you the opportunity to quote for jobs.

It really is a waste of time as none of the jobs give enough detail to formulate a proper quote.

One of the best examples is this:-

Description of the work to be carried out:

Driping taps in the bathroom: I would like to chang to a new set of taps which I have already.
    Also the hot water center valve broken needs replace, I can,t sut the hot water...,and the cold water center valve is a bit stiff, may need replace.
    Give me an estimate first, I don't pay per hour.

Now just how much would you quote for that?

Tony

2. Captain Leaky

Captain Leaky New Member

Way too much :) and if they accept you are OK.

Seriously though, some of these websites are in cloud-cuckoo land.

3. tackleburger

tackleburger New Member

Quote £300 plus the VAT. Sounds like a couple of taps and two service valves to me. Although it could be bath taps which bring their own nightmares. I think it's the basin.

4. Ion Transient

Ion Transient New Member

> Sounds like a couple of taps
    and two service valves to me. Although it could be
    bath taps which bring their own nightmares. I think
    it's the basin.

always best to hedge your bets

5. tightenit

tightenit New Member

Avoid like the plague. Where quote is a fixed price you run an unnecessary risk of losing money and time. Changing bath taps (thinking cast iron bath , red lead putty etc)with the far tap a mile away on 3/4 pipe can take forever.Even changing a 22mm cold feed gatevalve can be tricky. I'd rather not risk a blind quote.

6. I have heard of someone who ended up moving a cast iron bath to get enough access to change the taps!

Tony

7. tgs

tgs New Member

I have heard of someone who ended up moving a cast
    iron bath to get enough access to change the taps!

Tony

I'm really glad I'm not the only one who's had this problem.