How to adjust idle and/or mixture on Mountfield mower?

Discussion in 'Other Trades Talk' started by RipGroove, May 3, 2018.

1. RipGroove

RipGroove Member

I know! I'm about ready to just go up screwfix and buy a new mower!

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Honda Izy HRG 466 SK 4-Wheel Self-Propelled Petrol Lawnmower, lovely machine.

TCP/Quidco might save a few more pennies.

3. RipGroove

RipGroove Member

The fact mine doesn't idle when held closed is probably what's making the governor kick in and up the revs momentarily and then gets stuck in a cycle of up and down. If only the carb had an idle screw.

4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Amazed it doesn't have a idle screw, sure it's not hidden under some rubber plug/cap.

5. RipGroove

RipGroove Member

Yeah pretty sure, I'll have another look though. If not I'll just bend something until it idles.

6. RipGroove

RipGroove Member

I added my own idle stop screw so it runs nice at idle now, governor still seems to work. Going to mow the lawn now and test.

Deleted member 33931 likes this.
  7. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

A good result/bodge...:D

8. RipGroove

RipGroove Member

Yeah it seemed to work OK other than under load it started to cut out for some reason, not sure why as the governor should still open the carb under load, all I did was add a stop so the carb couldn't close all the way, I didn't mess with anything to do with the carb being full open. Anyway, I adjusted my stop after mowing the lawn so it's open a little more at idle, will see what happens when I next do the lawn.

9. RipGroove

RipGroove Member

Fitted new governor spring and removed my temporary bodge/fix and that seems to have done it, I only fired it up quickly but there was no hunting at all and the engine sounded sweet as a nut.

10. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

:):):)

A result.:rolleyes:

Thanks for update.

RipGroove likes this.
  11. Sorry I couldn't reply before - I was, er, detained (I think I was about to tap the 'post' button when I mysteriously didn't exist any more.

Well done for the fix. From your photos it looks as tho' you don't have the 'air paddle' type of governor (where the carb is told the speed of the engine by how much air the fan produces) so I guess the control lever wire is fed directly from the engine internals instead? If the engine speeds up and slows down in neat repeated cycles - 'hunts' - then it's usually pretty clear that the jets are ok and it's a 'control' issue. If the engine can be maintained at speed by manually holding open the throttle, then it's definitely not a jet issue because if the engine can spin at speed manually then there's no reason why it cannot also do so 'auto'.

I was going to suggest the governor spring... :oops:

12. RipGroove

RipGroove Member

Thanks guys, had to wait for the spring to arrive so was just exploring other possible issues while waiting for it to arrive. Turns out it might have just been the spring all along.

13. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Becoming quite common lately.

Some cowboy suggested that earlier.

14. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Most types of springs, tension,compression,etc, can loose their spring.

Usually down to over stretching or poor quailty springs.

Shouldn't need to unclip it.

15. RipGroove

RipGroove Member

I'll unclip it over the winter to extend its life.