How to attach floating curtain pole bracket?

Discussion in 'Getting Started FAQ' started by charliebrown, May 22, 2020 at 7:28 PM.

1. charliebrown

charliebrown New Member

Hi - this broken bracket has fallen down. Looks like it was put up with no more nails, which I have scraped off the residue.

I would like to re-attach with a screw or something stronger to hold it up, however there is is just a flat base and hole at the back of the bracket, so I am not sure how to do this?

Attached Files:

2. Abrickie

Abrickie Well-Known Member

I do believe you’re missing a fixing plate, break out the no nails :(

3. nigel willson

nigel willson Screwfix Select

As above. Fixing bracket missing

4. teabreak

teabreak Screwfix Select

Looks like one that has a double ended screw missing, one end is a machine (bolt) thread the other a wood screw.

5. charliebrown

charliebrown New Member

Thanks everyone. So do you think I might have a good chance of fixing it with one of these screws? (but no fixing bracket)

Attached Files:

nigel willson likes this.
  6. teabreak

teabreak Screwfix Select

If you can clear the thread of filler it may well fit, that is the sort of screw I ment.

7. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

As above, the bracket would have had a metal plate screwed to the wall with a threaded stud attached that the wooden bit screws onto

The screw type in your link will work as long as same thread diameter and pitch as metal insert inside wooden bracket

Other option is to drill and countersink through wooden base and plug and screw to wall. Could fill screw holes or use timber caps

8. teabreak

teabreak Screwfix Select

Another fix might be to drill out the hole and fix your double ended screw in with epoxy.

9. Abrickie

Abrickie Well-Known Member

Or just buy another curtain pole ;)

G Roo and teabreak like this.
  10. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

Assuming there is no threaded metal insert already in the bracket and it is all wood, Get a nice long screw with a good thread length. Drill a pilot stopping short of breakthrough and screw it in to the back of the bracket to cut a thread. Now take it out, chop off the shank and wind the screw cut end first back in to the bracket until it bottoms out (with some good pliers or grips - careful not to mank up the threads too much). Drill and plug the wall. Screw a screw in to pre-cut the plug, then remove. Now wind the bracket with the screw sticking out in to the plug. Do not overtighten!

teabreak likes this.