How to bridge air cavity for new floor?

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Jimmy2k, May 2, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Jimmy2k

Jimmy2k New Member

Hi, I'm after some advice on how to fix this quickly. Screeders are coming to level the living room floor on Tuesday and after taking up a wooden panel by this window at the back I've found that it was just covering over what looks like base of the old brick wall. This area used to be a kitchen but was knocked through to enlarge the living room, hence the stopcock being here, and I'm guessing the window was put in at the same time.

From the pictures you can see the DPM ends at the edge of the floor and there is also a course of bricks underneath the black plastic strip. After that there is a gap and after clearing out a load of rubble it's just damp soil at the bottom of this gap, then the outside bricks under the window (window doesn't open).

Question: I will be laying laminate over the newly levelled floor, hopefully right up to the window. What would be the best way to go about bridging this if possible, or would it be better to lay the laminate just up to the edge of the DPM and do something else to cover over the gap?

ps A major rennovation / repair job is not really an option right now - screeding being done next week and baby on the way next month...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

Hmmmm, is that your mains incoming stopcock there ?

3. Jimmy2k

Jimmy2k New Member

Yes I think so. The floor levelling compound will have to go around it

4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Darn naff place for a stopcock!

5. Jimmy2k

Jimmy2k New Member

Yep :(
    Am trying to think of how to do the laminate neatly around / over it but seems tricky.

6. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

I think I’d get that issue sorted first. Shouldn’t be too difficult to get another stopcock installed somewhere a bit more accessible. After that, you can forget all about that one and it could be completely buried. As for the gap next to the window, could you put some polystyrene insulation in the gap before screening over? DPC could be extended to come up the window and cut off afterwards.

7. Ellie Darlene

Ellie Darlene New Member

for the gap near the window you can use DPC. and then cover the whole area, with the DPM.