How to clad a log cabin without going bankrupt

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by dtexh, Sep 15, 2021.

1. dtexh

dtexh Member

I built a log cabin from a kit. I have insulated the roof and floor but not the walls yet.

For the walls I don't want to faff with plastering inside and like the wood interior finish. I am thinking to insulate externally with celotex then some kind of exterior finish.

3 walls are not visible as they are against fences.

How would you clad it in an economical way? Thanks

2. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Timber and Economical don’t exist at the present time, in our universe at least

Had you been shopping around, say 6 months or so ago, then yeah, decent size order from a timber yard would have been palatable money wise

But now……. Timber prices have more than quadrupled for some items :(

May well be more economical to leave outside as is but lash on a few coats of timber treatment whilst you can, then insulate inside, plaster board, etc

That’s not the finish you want but just depends on budget and current timber prices - your call :)

3. dtexh

dtexh Member

Yes, I went with the log cabin because it cost £2800 for a 4m x 4m 40mm thick walled cabin. Price of that cabin has rocketed since. The pack it came in weighed more than 1 ton and had to be fork lifted in. I suspect had I bought 1 ton of planed timber planks it would be more than what I paid for the cabin.

Yes, might have to wait until timber gets cheaper and then do it, and just accept that the increased heating bills will be less than buying timber now.

4. FlyByNight

FlyByNight Screwfix Select

Why not, when prices drop, insulate inside and then finish with good quality Birch Ply?