How to Close Gap between Vanity Unit and Wall

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Harps69, Dec 6, 2015.

  1. Harps69

    Harps69 New Member

    One of the corners in the bathroom where the
    vanity unit goes is not square so there is a gap
    present at the front between the vanity unit
    and the wall.

    Please see the photo.

    Any idea of how best to fill this gap would
    be welcome.

  2. Ryluer

    Ryluer Well-Known Member

    Looks like something is off plumb. Mebbe the base could be trimmed to allow it to tilt over a bit more.
  3. tore81

    tore81 Screwfix Select

    A lot of fitters would would but a blanking piece there. Is there a worktop being fitted
  4. Jitender

    Jitender Screwfix Select

    Can you fix a 15mm end panel to the base unit ans screw in from the inside.

    For the sink, best to tile it, otherwise a lot of water will eventually go down there.
    Harps69 and tore81 like this.
  5. tore81

    tore81 Screwfix Select

    Yes that's what I meant JT. I have used this method looks good
  6. DIYDave.

    DIYDave. Screwfix Select

    Is the base of the unit touching the wall and the gap gets wider as you work up ?
    What's the wall finish going to be, any tiling happening ?
    Obvious one really but is there any skirting fitted that's stopping the unit moving further into the wall ?
    As above, usually a "fillet" would be cut, same material as unit and fitted in gap. Problem with horizontal fillet fitted next to sink would be water collecting and damaging the wood , mdf

    I had a similar issue in my bathroom when I fitted a large 3 door sink unit, walls were all over the place, leading to gaps
    Quadrant beading is old fashioned and horrible, I used Birdsmouth Trim around top of unit and side tight to wall, looks great and provides a watertight seal, depending on paint type used

    (Well, Ive always called it "Birdsmouth" anyway) !

    As you will see, available in different widths. I would suggest a size that lips onto edge of sink, stick it on with caulk for a good seal then paint (would avoid silicon as will give you a problem when you come to paint the trim)

    Any splashed water will then drain back onto sink and cause no harm. Can use same trim down vertical edge, after trimming to fit gap - good luck
    Harps69 likes this.
  7. KIAB

    KIAB Super Member

    Funny how peeps use different names for things.
    Birdsmouth trim is a slightly different profile, Richard Burbidge is one company that has it listed.

  8. mr moose

    mr moose Screwfix Select

    Is that a drawer or a door on the vanity unit? if so , you may not want it any closer to the wall (Scraping or scuffing over time?) A good quality mould resistant silicon sealant around the sink, and tiling even better.
  9. DIYDave.

    DIYDave. Screwfix Select

    I could be well wrong Kiab, has happened once or twice before ;)

    Spose your pic does look more like birdsmouth than mine, but whatever my suggestion is called, it will do the job

    Anyway, cant beat a bit of birds mouth can you :p
  10. Astramax

    Astramax Super Member

    DIYDave the profile you show is 'scotia' moulding KIAB's moulding is a birds mouth although one or two others can fall into the same term.
  11. Mr. Handyandy

    Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

    I'd go white plastic and tile trim.
    Tile trim(many different types available) all around the sink area(including the front edge drop), and will sort the gap at the wall end.
    Then some kind of plastic fillet for down the side of the door/wall(set back to miss the door edge).

    Mr. HandyAndy - Really
    Harps69 likes this.
  12. CGN

    CGN Screwfix Select

    Does the sink overhang the unit on the side? If so and As the corner is not square, you could chop into the plaster to allow the sink to recess a tad to the right which will considerably lessen the gap at the front of the unit. Splash back will then hide any evidence.
  13. Ryluer

    Ryluer Well-Known Member

    You could make up a bucket of liquid floor levelling latex and pour it in from the top. Though fit a strip of summat down the front to prevent it running out.
    Will paint in then along with the wall and become invisible.
  14. mr moose

    mr moose Screwfix Select

    That sounds a bit drastic RY :eek:. A whole Bucket! I am sure you could end up with a right mess when it seeps out from underneath the unit!
    Harps69 and Tiny01 like this.
  15. DIYDave.

    DIYDave. Screwfix Select

    image.jpeg Gosh don't some people like to complicate things :rolleyes:

    Give my idea a try, using a piece of moulding for horizontal and vertical gap - width to suite. Less than a fiver for a 3mt length

    Ok I called it birds mouth, cheers to Kiab and Astra for pointing out the error of my ways :)

    It's called Scotia - even says it in the BQ link I posted ! Mind you, I like the sound of a birds mouth (not feathered variety either)

    I painted mine to match T&G cladding, covers gap and acts as a seal all in one

    Those handles though are gonna knock against the wall, recessed handles would have been a better choice I recon. Mind you, the OP hasn't been back since posting ..... Maybe he's fallen down the gap :eek:
    Harps69 likes this.
  16. jeznotts

    jeznotts Member

    just one thing dave, just what is that you posted? having trouble working out what you have done there.
  17. DIYDave.

    DIYDave. Screwfix Select

    Hi jeznotts
    Yeah bad photo and wrongly rotated as well :eek:

    In my prev post 6, I linked to a scotia trim (that I had wrongly called birdsmouth) for closing up the gap on the OPs vanity unity

    I fitted a large, 3 door sink unit in my bathroom and that's the tiled top
    T&G cladding was already in place but corner was really out so big gap along top edge and also front vertical edge to wall (not in picture)

    I used the trim to cover gaps and also act as a water seal. Works well in my opinion, about ready for another lick of paint but just time ........;)
    Harps69 likes this.
  18. Harps69

    Harps69 New Member

    Hi Guys,

    Thank you for the replies, great to hear your thoughts on this.

    Will definitely be looking at the scotia and the tile trim options, possibly look for an end panel too
    if can find one to fit the gap.
    You have helped immensely with this thank you to all!
    tore81 likes this.
  19. tore81

    tore81 Screwfix Select

    Just thought now. Beading will be cheaper.

    But if cost wasn't an issue I would end panel it. Just looks like it's part of the unit. In my opinion.

    Good luck.
    Harps69 likes this.

Share This Page

  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice