How to Connect Armoured Cable?

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by webbywebsta, Mar 15, 2005.

1. webbywebsta

webbywebsta New Member

I have purchased 1.5mm armoured cable to connect from externally mounted junction box to 2 bulk head lights in the garden.
    Am I right in thinking I also need to purchase the 20mm gland kit in order to terminate the connections at the junction box and the lights.
    Also, what is the procedure for earthing the armour?

Thanks.

2. jfkezz

jfkezz New Member

I am sorry to say that new Part P regulations prevent you from carrying out this work, which I doubt you have. Check recent post about Part P for more advice.

3. andyboy

andyboy New Member

armoured is 2360 pt1 stuff.

4. webbywebsta

webbywebsta New Member

Thanks for the advice but I'm really not bothered about Part P. Can anyone else help?

5. Kurly

Kurly Member

jfkezz - Yes, the work is notifiable and Building Control should be informed, but Part P does NOT prevent him from carrying out his own work.

There's enough cr** talked about Part P on this forum already - we don't need anymore.

6. webbywebsta

webbywebsta New Member

Hey! Enough of the arguing already! Does anyone have an answer to my original question?

7. jenki

jenki New Member

I have purchased 1.5mm armoured cable to connect from
    externally mounted junction box to 2 bulk head lights
    in the garden.
    Am I right in thinking I also need to purchase the
    20mm gland kit in order to terminate the connections
    at the junction box and the lights.
    Also, what is the procedure for earthing the armour?

Thanks.
    Yes - Glands are needed to terminate SWA, basically the Gland traps the Steel wire. If you are going to use the SW for Earth, then you will need to use the banjo on the gland, and take an earth from this to the fitting earth. However I would would use 3 core SWA and use a core for the earth.
    Yes Part P applies - but more importantly ensure you check EFLI, insulation resistance etc. I Don't care whether you do it legally or not, just make sure it conforms and is safe.
    Another option is to run SWA to a suitable adaptable box, then use conduit to take the power from here to the lights- you might find trying to terminate 2lots of SWA at a fitting a bit of a pain.. just depends on the particulars of your install.

8. webbywebsta

webbywebsta New Member

Thanks Jenki.

If I keep all wiring above ground level and simply route along the fence will this remove the need for armoured cable or is it still required?

9. wez

wez New Member

yes you still need to use armoured. Also regardless if you use the armouring for the earth or not you must earth it at one end still to bond the armouring

10. bounce

bounce New Member

how the **** do you expect to do the job stick to diy jobs like hanging doors. employ a sparky thats what were here for . would you pull your own teeth ?

11. jenki

jenki New Member

yes you still need to use armoured. Also regardless
    if you use the armouring for the earth or not you
    must earth it at one end still to bond the armouring

Good point wez:)

12. ban-all-sheds

ban-all-sheds New Member

There's probably zero chance of getting one SWA into a bulkhead light, let alone 2....

Conduit from a suitably IP rated box might be one way.

Another plan might be to take the SWA into Pratley boxes and then run HiTuf to the lights.

13. ban-all-sheds

ban-all-sheds New Member

There's a very important point here - are you not bothered about whether you notify BC or not, or are you not bothered about doing a suitably safe and tested job?

14. webbywebsta

webbywebsta New Member

It seems to me like most of you guys using this forum are doing so purely to create arguments and to **** people off. Anyway, if you're all such great electricians, why are you so short of work? I'm only presuming you must be short of work because some of you seem to make a full time job of posting useless comments on here! (ban-all-sheds, 2444 posts in just 18 months. Good work fella!)
    As for you, Bounce. You asked "would you pull your own teeth?". Well, in answer to your question, no I wouldn't but I'd sure enjoy ripping yours out!
    Anyway, with the exeption of Jenki and Wez, thanks for nothing.
    I'm off to blow myself up!

15. baboon

baboon New Member

Well said webby my sentiments exactly, and not too far removed from comments i made in here a few weeks ago.
    Incidentally i am a sparky and i`m busy...too busy really and no i`m not part p registered yet but do comply it is very easy.

16. ban-all-sheds

ban-all-sheds New Member

Listen, fartbreath - I gave you useful practical advice regarding the physical problems of connecting SWA to your lights, not a useless comment or a slagging off.

I also asked you which bit of Part P you weren't bothered about - the notifying Building Control bit or the doing a safe job bit. Again, hardly a slagging off. But I guess you think that it's OK to act like a complete ***kwit with outside wiring. I hope you live alone - the thought of you coming to grief because of your stupidity and refusal to take advice doesn't bother me, but I'd hate to think of your gross negligence resulting in harm to someone else.

17. webbywebsta

webbywebsta New Member

Go and get a real job instead of pretending to work for screwfix! Looooooser!

18. bounce

bounce New Member

Teddy out of cot

19. ban-all-sheds

ban-all-sheds New Member

WTF?????

20. jfkezz

jfkezz New Member

To sum up

There was me thinking that good advice as an electrician was to carry out electrical work in a safe and proper manner. Any advice that I give is always within the Regs and now within the law. Part P is a long time coming and will go some way to exposing 'cowboy geezers' like Kurly and Webbywebsta! I see no mention of the depth of this armoured cable only that up against the fence seems to be ok! Advise people against the law; is that not an offence in itself? Would you offer advice on how to obtain a dodgy MOT, shop lifting or how to avoid paying VAT.? I guess not. But on here anything goes! Part P is mandatory, and is here to protect everyone’s safe interest, much to what some people say. It's about time our profession finally came professional. Tell me Kurly would you hire an unqualified plastic surgeon to attend to your long lying nose? My opinion is based on twenty years experience not some B&Q manual bought with some Armoured Cable for some garden lighting. Call a professional, cut corners and you’re facing a stretch or worse still be burying your loved ones. Good lick with the garden lighting! With adice like this, you're going to need it!!