How to connect garden hose to tap which has male 22mm aerator thread

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by pateksan, Apr 5, 2021.

1. pateksan

pateksan Member

I'm struggling to get anything useful out of Google again. How can I connect a garden hose to a kitchen tap which has a male 22mm aerator thread? There seem to be a ton of various adapters on the market, but none that either do this or can at least be bundled up to achieve it. It just seems the only thing you can buy with a 22mm female thread is... well, an aerator! But I think there must be a way to get a garden hose connected?

It's a "goose neck" shape tap, and it's awkward to disconnect the washing machine every time. I'm trying to avoid doing actual plumbing, and I already have a splitter in place (to supply the dishwasher, our kitchen didn't have one originally).

I hope it's clear what I'm trying to achieve and this forum has never let me down so I'm optimistic.

2. AnotherTopJob

AnotherTopJob Screwfix Select

3. Would something like this work? 18-22mm in size and could just slide over the tap?

Attached Files:

4. sparky steve

sparky steve Screwfix Select

5. pateksan

pateksan Member

Thank you all, I do appreciate all your answers but so far but none of them work - see below.

Does anybody know what type of thread aerators use? I left my thread gauges at the office and can't get to them for a while.

The tap is 24.3 outside diameter, circular. Should have mentioned that in my OP, sorry
    We've been using (a cheap copy of) one of these for years with the old tap, but the new one is a "goose neck" type as I said in my OP (and we love the extra clearance the goose neck provides). Admittedly, our hosts also have https://www.screwfix.com/p/hozelock-mixer-tap-connector/9283t but it says "14mm - 18mm Thread Hose Fitting" and our tap is 24.3mm as mentioned above.
    Exactly - as described above in response to the other two answers.
    Love the idea, but not the price at £37.95. Good job I don't have the room in the cupboard, and if I did, I think I'd rather combine two £1.89 splitters (https://www.screwfix.com/p/washing-machine-y-piece/81000) to get three outlets, it's just one extra connection that could fail. But if I can't get a better solution I might as well take on the hassle of an outside tap.

6. What about something like this, and u could make up whatever u wanted out the other side of it

Attached Files:

7. AnotherTopJob

AnotherTopJob Screwfix Select

I realise fitting an outside tap involves some work, but that has to be better in the long run?

I wouldn't be too keen on regularly fitting and removing fittings in a cupboard, or on a tap.

Deleted member 246321 likes this.
  8. Agree 100%, fit an outside tap. Keep disconnecting and connecting stuff to the tap or under the sink and sooner or later something will leak/hose will blow off/cross thread etc.

Isaac Cox likes this.
  9. Isaac Cox

Isaac Cox Member

Even if you do find a means of connecting to your tap, a gooseneck tap isn't designed to have the weight of a hose full of water hanging from it - most modern ones can barely keep upright as it is - and it won't be long before something breaks.

Outside tap time as advised above. You won't regret it in the long run.

10. The Happy Builder

The Happy Builder Screwfix Select

I have fitted two kitchens that were water damaged within a week of installation by the customers using a hose pipe connected to the kitchen tap.

It’s stupidity, get an outside tap installed.

11. yum-cha

yum-cha New Member

Old post I know, but just putting this here for anyone else who has the same issue.

I solved this with a Gardena "Tap Adaptor for Indoor Taps", product code 18210 which I found in at another retailer. So far working well.