How to convert from ceiling rose connection - advice please

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by adam clarke, Sep 21, 2018.

1. adam clarke

adam clarke New Member

Hello

Sorry in advance if my terminology isn't great!

I got a new light and it doesnt fit past the connection plate behind the ceiling rose (the plastic disc in the picture all the wires are connected to).

The new light has its own decorative ceiling rose but it is just too small to fit around the existing one.

I therefore need to disconnect all the wires, remove the connection plate and fit something else.

Can these wires just go into 3 little connection blocks? One for live, earth and neutral?

I'm just a little unsure as there are multiple live wires etc.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks

light.jpg R7822876-01.jpg

2. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

You’ll have , live, neutral, switched live and earth to contend with. At least 4 conn blocks needed. Might be better with a junction box above ceiling level with only the switched live, neutral and earth coming through the ceiling. Junction box still needs to be accessible though ( possibly from above )

3. adam clarke

adam clarke New Member

Great, thats what a thought. A junction box would be too difficult in this case.

So it would be like this?

block 1 - switched live & a live.
    block 2 - 2 lives
    block 3 - 2 neutrals
    block 4 - earths

Are these wee connection blocks safe and good to use? They seem so flimsy

Cheers

4. peter palmer

peter palmer Screwfix Select

As long as they stay within the base of the fitting and not shoved up into the ceiling void.

adam clarke likes this.
  5. rogerk101

rogerk101 Screwfix Select

In your proposed configuration, block 1 would contain the switched live coming back from the switch and the live that goes to one side of the light bulb.
    The other side of the light bulb just goes to the combined neutral.

6. adam clarke

adam clarke New Member

It won't be, there is room in the new light fitting.

Yes thanks - im presuming its the one in the same block as the current live coming from the light

7. adam clarke

adam clarke New Member

I'm having another slight issue with the new light fitting!

The phillips instructions seem to suggest just pushing the wires into the holes?

As you can see from the pictures, there's no way of securing them, no screws/clamps.

Also, how do you know which way round the picture is meant to be? Or does it not matter as long as one is in the bottom hole and one on the top.

Surely u don't just push the wires in :S:S
    26b9f3fc-ef42-495b-9654-495bb7fb2e1a.jpg 506c8407-cb33-4666-8243-c69b5ce244f6.jpg 889df9ea-3928-4873-bbf9-ef4af9c75bc6.jpg

8. rogerk101

Yes - that's exactly what you do ... just strip the insulation off to expose the length of bare conductor specified in their instructions and push them in. Once in, give them each a pull, and they should be held so securely that you won't be able to pull them out ... not without a whole new technique ;-)

9. adam clarke

adam clarke New Member

Great, thanks again for the advice. It's a light for the kids room so better safe than sorry! It just looked a bit dodgy to me!

Only other thing is that it doesn't actually specify how much wire needs stripped!

10. rogerk101

Anything between 5 and 10mm should be fine. If it turns out that 10mm is too long, i.e. copper is exposed even after being pushed fully home, then get back to the forum and someone will tell you how to release the latch.

11. peter palmer

peter palmer Screwfix Select

Looks pretty naff, I'd love to know how there is space behind the fitting for the terminal block. Those wires coming out of the ceiling will be pretty short and the base looks pretty flush with the ceiling to me.

12. adam clarke

adam clarke New Member

it all fit in quite nicely

all done, looks good :D

thanks for all your help folks