How to cut skirting without taking it off??

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by tph1, Feb 9, 2005.

1. tph1

tph1 Member

Does anyone know of a tool or method of cutting a skirting board (ie to reduce its length) without removing it from the wall ??

2. diyhopeful

diyhopeful Active Member

It depends on how much you've got to do and the depth of skirting board and how it's fixed on. Is it for a door opening ? It may be better to take the whole piece off and match with new. Recommended way in my book is to pry the board off a little to give you more room. But this isn't always possible.

A Fein will cut it well but costs a fortune for the DIY'er. Much better to use a small saw or for as much as you can and chisel for the rest. But depending on your skill the straight edge may look a little....unstraight......

But there are loads of other ways to do it and I'm sure the professionals will be along soon to add their twopenneth.

3. dewaltdisney

dewaltdisney New Member

As DIY says, there are many ways of doing this but a simple way would be to stitch drill a line of holes to form a cut line and use a chisel to finish it off.

When the waste part of skirting is removed you can clean the edge up by further chisel work and sanding. It is just a bit long winded but it does work.

DWD

4. tph1

tph1 Member

cheers boys

5. big all

big all Screwfix Select

as said above by dwd and diy

also i would add to this method when cleaning up the edges lever the skirting a few mill of the wall insert a thin bit ply or hardboard [to protect the chisel]
    you can also use a piece of wood the same hight at least 18mm thick and cut to the correct angle eg 90% nail in place temporary or support with your knee in line with where you want to cut
    hold the chisel firmly on the end off the off cut and you will get a neat strait cut with a sharp chisel

big all

6. tph1

tph1 Member

How about a dremel with a wood cutting attachment ??

I'm answering my own question now !

7. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

OK. Here's a way to do it. It's not easy, and if you have to do lots, it'll kill ya.

You can (if you must) cut it at 45 degrees, or 90.
    Drill a hole at the bottom (so you don't have to cut right down there) use a block of wood as a guide and steadier, and use a tenon saw to cut the skirting (make sure it's sharp) Don't cut the wallpaper. To help with that I have used a bit of corrugated cardboard(you can dig the teeth in in the right place through the first layer of cardboard.
    More difficult to do at 45 degrees, but same priciple, having your block of wood preshaped at 45.

As I said, not easy, but can be done.

Handyandy - really

8. dewaltdisney

dewaltdisney New Member

Andy,

I thought you might have suggested cutting it with a biscuit jointer :)

DWD

9. D.E.B.S

D.E.B.S New Member

i would go for stitch drilling and chisle way myself (a lot quicker if your chisle is sharp)

10. ianparkesy

ianparkesy New Member

Use a fein multi . Its the only tool that i have come across that will do it properly

11. panlid

panlid New Member

an axe.

12. D.E.B.S

D.E.B.S New Member

would of thought handyman would have come up with that sid ;)

13. Adbuild

Adbuild New Member

You could get most of it with a Jig-saw, plunging it in at the top. Finish off with a tennon saw and chisel

14. Binfield Carpenter

Binfield Carpenter New Member

When I have to do this I use a Fein multicut with the blade running down a block of wood pinned to the skirting. This gives a very clean edge at exactly right angles. If I have forgotten to pack the Fein I use the line of drill hole and finish off with a hand chisel method. Trouble with this is that skirting that has been on the wall a long time is often very dry and will splinter very easily.

G

15. bodget&scarpers

bodget&scarpers New Member

bicky jointer,then trim with an adze!

16. panlid

panlid New Member

like it bodgey baby :)

17. Chippy John

Chippy John New Member

Sharp jacksaw and finish it off with a cheap but sharp chisel that I keep for just such an occasion.

I'll have it done by the time you've found somewhere to plug in all them fancy Dan toys.

18. panlid

panlid New Member

john is that what you say to the wife when she gets her d*o out?

[Edited by: Forum Moderator]

19. ajb1

ajb1 New Member

no no no you have all got it wrong the easiest way it to watch someone else do it

20. Chippy John

Chippy John New Member

john is that what you say to the wife when she gets
    her d*o out?

No Sid, I just remind her that she'll have to organise a redundancy package if she plans to keep it up. (oops, bit of a Freudian slip there)

[Edited by: Forum Moderator]