How to enlarge a tap hole in a steel sink ?

Discussion in 'Kitchen Fitters' Talk' started by Cack3r, May 4, 2006.

1. Cack3r

Cack3r New Member

Hi,

I've got a stainless steel franke sink. The tap hole is too small for the sink taps :(

I would guess that the diameter required is around 8mm more than the existing hole. So effectively, the radius has to be increased by 4mm (ie i have to remove a 4mm strip of metal all the way round). Any ideas what to use ?

The more accurate the hole, the better the taps will fit so i dont really want to 'freehand' cut it.

What tools could i use anyway ? i was thinking of a hole cutter, but i would have to somehow clamp a piece of wood over the hole so that hole cutter drill had something to locate into.

Any ideas ?

Cheers,

Cacker

2. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

You don't say what size holes you want, but perhaps these may help: Screwfix spring 2006 catalogue, page 82, Cone drills or Step Drill.

3. grunt

grunt New Member

if astra max's way dos nt sort you out try cutting the piece of wood you menationed with the hole size you want , clamp that in place , so now you don't need a pilot hole and cut but run the hole cutter backwards , it ll take a bit longer but it won't snatch

4. Cack3r

Cack3r New Member

Hi,

I just did a quick measurement and the hole is around 35-36mm. The tap isn't actually that far off, probably around 34mm.

The cone drills only go up to 30mm and are 18.99 for a set of 3 (on screwfix website).

Good idea grunt, although i only have a wood hole cutter at the moment. I guess I'll just have to see which is cheaper :p

Cheers,

Cacker

5. grunt

grunt New Member

wood hole cutter is fine , itll be knackered afterwards , but if thats all it is out , get yourself a round file , it ll take 10 minutes

6. M107

M107 New Member

Try an electricians trunking cone cutter they go up to 35mm.

7. Hitch.

Hitch. New Member

There is a page on drilling metal and types of bit over at ultimatehandyman
    http://www.ultimatehandyman.co.uk/DIYMetalworking/

Id go for a step or cone drill. They are available in different sizes. Large ones can be expensive.

A bi-metal holesaw would do it, but you will need to clamp something under to use as a guide as suggested.

8. britishblue

britishblue New Member

Cack3R you said

I just did a quick measurement and the hole is around 35-36mm. The tap isn't actually that far off, probably around 34mm.

If the tap is smaller than the existing hole in the sink, why do you need to enlarge it?

If you do need to enlarge it, I wouldn't drill it, as whatever you use, is likely to snag and be difficult to control without a pillar drill. Suggest you use a sheet metal hole punch. You just wind it up with an allen key and it cuts cleanly the exact size. Q-Max appear to be the cheapest. Have a look at them here:

http://www.tooled-up.com/MicroCategory.asp?MAN=Hole-Punches&CID=14&SCID=354&MCID=1513

BB

9. Real Spark

Real Spark New Member

Cack3R you said

If the tap is smaller than the existing hole in the sink, why do you need to enlarge it?

If you do need to enlarge it, I wouldn't drill it, as whatever you use, is likely to snag and be difficult to control without a pillar drill. Suggest you use a sheet metal hole punch. You just wind it up with an allen key and it cuts cleanly the exact size. Q-Max appear to be the cheapest. Have a look at them here:

http://www.tooled-up.com/MicroCategory.asp?MAN=Hole-Punches&CID=14&SCID=354&MCID=1513

BB

100% with BB

Its SS don’t drill punch it

RS

10. i fit

i fit New Member

No, no, no. Do not enlarge the hole. It is a 35mm hole.
    It will fit. I promise.
    Are you useing flexible connectors? They can sometimes be a little awkward to get trough the hole.

11. britishblue

britishblue New Member

Agree with i fit. If it's a Franke sink it's very unlikely to have a hole for a monobloc mixer tap that's too small.

BB

12. i fit

i fit New Member

Agree with i fit. If it's a Franke sink it's very
    unlikely to have a hole for a monobloc mixer tap
    that's too small.

BB

;)

13. britishblue

britishblue New Member

Cack3r, can you describe the tap and how you are intending to assemble it on the sink. Something doesn't sound quite right here, as monobloc taps sit on the top with a horseshoe type washer and a threaded stud and fixing nut holding it in place on the underside.

BB

14. Hitch.

Hitch. New Member

I have to disagre with BB, A cone drill or step drill wont cause any trouble.
    A Qmax would probably make a worse mess by dragging the edges into the die if your only trying to remove a 1mm wide ring...

15. Cack3r

Cack3r New Member

Hi,

Okay, i'm temporarily dyslexic. The sink hole IS too small, although only marginally, its enough for the tap not to be able to fit through. Pic -

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/nick.djurovich/misc/DSC00163.JPG

I've just put the thread against the hole and take it from me its a couple of mm short of allowing it through.

Chairs,

Cacker

16. russ295

russ295 New Member

hi cacker

personally i would change the tap to a differant model.
    BB is correct mono's usually have a threaded bar and a rubber then steel washer underneath.
    if you damage the sink in the process you will be most annoyed (them franke sinks arn't the cheapest!)
    but if you still insist on enlarging the hole i would use one of these
    http://www.lawson-his.co.uk/scripts/products.php?cat=Flap%20Wheels%2020-30mm

fitted to a 240v drill and take it easy

russ

17. Dirk Faegre

Dirk Faegre New Member

It's a bit amazing to me that responders think that the submitter can't tell that his faucet is too big? If he says it's too big .... it's too big. I also now have a faucet that won't go thru the hole in my new Franke stainless steel sink by about 1mm. Seems to me a dremel or roto-zip tool with a grinding stone would do the trick --- or a grinding stone in a drill. It's only 1mm to remove. Punching a 1mm ring out of it would likely cause trouble, no?

Last edited: May 10, 2014
  18. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

You seem to know best;)

19. Dirk Faegre

Dirk Faegre New Member

I got a small grinding wheel to fit in my drill .... it took a bit of time grinding away, but it worked well. The grinding wheel is pretty well worn out, but it only set me back 3 bucks. Good solution. Problem solved.
    Notes: I was grinding a Franke 18Ga stainless sink tap hole. I found the largest cone drill bit that Lowe's had was $44 and not big enough to work in my case.

20. Sean_ork

Sean_ork Screwfix Select

do Lowe's have a branch in Inverness ?