how to extend the power lead on a DA polisher

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Mark C1, Mar 19, 2019.

  1. Mark C1

    Mark C1 New Member

    so a while back i got a DA polisher from Argos and tbh it's worked perfectly for me, sure it's not the best in the world but good enough for the occasional use.

    The one downside to it is how short the lead is on it, it means that even without putting the lead up and over my shoulder to keep it off the paintwork as you should, if i go to do the roof of the car then the extension i've plugged into is being lifted up off the floor and knocking into the car as well as putting extra weight on the lead pulling it down.

    So i opened it up with the intention of looking to see if i could bung in a new longer power lead, however i'm at a bit of a loss. It looks easy enough as the two cables from the lead are just attached with spade connectors but they're right angled ones and i'm not sure where i can get them from or what sort of spec they'd need to be or which part of the connector i'm meant to measure as they seem to come in different sizes online?

    Same for the cable, i'm not sure which of the many markings are the important ones that i need to look for when ordering the new one.

    The writing on the cable is : <VDE> HO5VV-F 2X0.75mm2

  2. xednim

    xednim Active Member

    do you have soldering gun?
    Mark C1 likes this.
  3. DIYDave.

    DIYDave. Well-Known Member

    H05VV-F is the cable type (this is just regular pvc insulated flex)

    Interestingly, description for cable states ‘for indoor use’. Would have thought a rubberised cable would have been fitted but no - something like HO7RN perhaps

    2x0.75 tells you flex is made up from 2 seperate cores, 0.75mm each core (cross sectional measurement of core)

    Easily available by the meter from an electrical wholesaled or of course, on line
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2019
    Mark C1 likes this.
  4. xednim

    xednim Active Member

    Mark C1 likes this.
  5. spirits are real 2016

    spirits are real 2016 Active Member

    Screwfix sell fish pond cable which would work.
    3183P code
  6. Alphadog

    Alphadog New Member

    Do what's suggested - buy a new, longer cable and make it up yourself.

    While you're at it, buy some rubber cable, I think it is called Arctic cable (the electricians here will confirm or deny this). It makes handling a power tool so much more pleasant. The cable doesn't become hard in the cold, doesn't memorise its folds and drapes nicely around the workpiece.

    I replace most of my power tool cables with this type of cable, especially the lighter tools such as soldering stations, which are easily knocked off the table by a stiff cable.
    Mark C1 likes this.
  7. Mark C1

    Mark C1 New Member

    yes i do, somewhere lol. Don't think i've used it for quite a few years.

    I had thought of doing that but i thought it wouldn't be "safe" to do it that way? I've already got tons of different sized heat shrink so that's not an issue and could i just re-use the plug that's already on the lead?
  8. xednim

    xednim Active Member

    try self soldering sleeves
    Mark C1 likes this.
  9. Mark C1

    Mark C1 New Member

    yep, got those as well, however i've also just managed to find some of the right angled spade connectors in the correct size online, so i've ordered those up and will be heading to screw fix in a min to pick up some of the cable as i just think it'll look nicer and be a little more reassuring for anyone i lend it to than if i just solder a new lead onto the existing one even if i put heatshrink on the joins etc...
  10. xednim

    xednim Active Member

    solved! :)
    Mark C1 likes this.
  11. Bazza-spark

    Bazza-spark Well-Known Member

  12. xednim

    xednim Active Member

  13. Mark C1

    Mark C1 New Member

    as one of the pictures shows, it's a dual action car polisher.
  14. Pollowick

    Pollowick Well-Known Member

  15. peter palmer

    peter palmer Well-Known Member

    Any in-line joint will bang and scrape on the bodywork. Just replace the flex with a longer version, I've done dozens of drills and grinders etc. over the years, cant be hard.
  16. chippie244

    chippie244 Well-Known Member

    That's just what he said he said he was going to do on #9 :)
  17. robertpstubbs

    robertpstubbs Active Member

    I think Arctic only comes in sizes 1.5mm2 upwards. It is flexible for use outdoors in cold weather (blue 240v or yellow 110v), but typically used for extension cables rather than actually connected to small tools.
  18. rogerk101

    rogerk101 Well-Known Member

    Agree ... Arctic cable is not the nice floppy stuff you need for hand-held power tools.
    What you really need is rubber or silicone designed for lots of back-and-forth movement like you'd have with a sander or a polisher.
    Such flex is readily available on eBay, Amazon, etc.

Share This Page