how to extend the power lead on a DA polisher

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Mark C1, Mar 19, 2019.

1. Mark C1

Mark C1 New Member

so a while back i got a DA polisher from Argos and tbh it's worked perfectly for me, sure it's not the best in the world but good enough for the occasional use.

The one downside to it is how short the lead is on it, it means that even without putting the lead up and over my shoulder to keep it off the paintwork as you should, if i go to do the roof of the car then the extension i've plugged into is being lifted up off the floor and knocking into the car as well as putting extra weight on the lead pulling it down.

So i opened it up with the intention of looking to see if i could bung in a new longer power lead, however i'm at a bit of a loss. It looks easy enough as the two cables from the lead are just attached with spade connectors but they're right angled ones and i'm not sure where i can get them from or what sort of spec they'd need to be or which part of the connector i'm meant to measure as they seem to come in different sizes online?

Same for the cable, i'm not sure which of the many markings are the important ones that i need to look for when ordering the new one.

The writing on the cable is : <VDE> HO5VV-F 2X0.75mm2

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. xednim

xednim Active Member

do you have soldering gun?

Mark C1 likes this.
  3. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Well-Known Member

H05VV-F is the cable type (this is just regular pvc insulated flex)

Interestingly, description for cable states ‘for indoor use’. Would have thought a rubberised cable would have been fitted but no - something like HO7RN perhaps

2x0.75 tells you flex is made up from 2 seperate cores, 0.75mm each core (cross sectional measurement of core)

Easily available by the meter from an electrical wholesaled or of course, on line

Last edited: Mar 19, 2019
    Mark C1 likes this.
  4. xednim

xednim Active Member

Mark C1 likes this.
  5. spirits are real 2016

spirits are real 2016 Active Member

Screwfix sell fish pond cable which would work.
    3183P code

6. Alphadog

Alphadog New Member

Do what's suggested - buy a new, longer cable and make it up yourself.

While you're at it, buy some rubber cable, I think it is called Arctic cable (the electricians here will confirm or deny this). It makes handling a power tool so much more pleasant. The cable doesn't become hard in the cold, doesn't memorise its folds and drapes nicely around the workpiece.

I replace most of my power tool cables with this type of cable, especially the lighter tools such as soldering stations, which are easily knocked off the table by a stiff cable.

Mark C1 likes this.
  7. Mark C1

Mark C1 New Member

yes i do, somewhere lol. Don't think i've used it for quite a few years.

I had thought of doing that but i thought it wouldn't be "safe" to do it that way? I've already got tons of different sized heat shrink so that's not an issue and could i just re-use the plug that's already on the lead?

8. xednim

xednim Active Member

try self soldering sleeves

Mark C1 likes this.
  9. Mark C1

Mark C1 New Member

yep, got those as well, however i've also just managed to find some of the right angled spade connectors in the correct size online, so i've ordered those up and will be heading to screw fix in a min to pick up some of the cable as i just think it'll look nicer and be a little more reassuring for anyone i lend it to than if i just solder a new lead onto the existing one even if i put heatshrink on the joins etc...

10. xednim

xednim Active Member

solved! :)

Mark C1 likes this.
  11. Bazza-spark

Bazza-spark Well-Known Member

12. xednim

xednim Active Member

13. Mark C1

Mark C1 New Member

as one of the pictures shows, it's a dual action car polisher.

14. Pollowick

Pollowick Well-Known Member

15. peter palmer

peter palmer Well-Known Member

Any in-line joint will bang and scrape on the bodywork. Just replace the flex with a longer version, I've done dozens of drills and grinders etc. over the years, cant be hard.

16. chippie244

chippie244 Well-Known Member

That's just what he said he said he was going to do on #9 :)

17. robertpstubbs

robertpstubbs Active Member

I think Arctic only comes in sizes 1.5mm2 upwards. It is flexible for use outdoors in cold weather (blue 240v or yellow 110v), but typically used for extension cables rather than actually connected to small tools.

18. rogerk101

rogerk101 Well-Known Member

Agree ... Arctic cable is not the nice floppy stuff you need for hand-held power tools.
    What you really need is rubber or silicone designed for lots of back-and-forth movement like you'd have with a sander or a polisher.
    Such flex is readily available on eBay, Amazon, etc.