How to fill a gap

Discussion in 'Kitchen Fitters' Talk' started by Kev Syme, Nov 1, 2017.

1. Kev Syme

Kev Syme New Member

Hi guys,

Just looking for some DIY advice. I've just had my kitchen ripped out and replaced with a brand new one. The old kitchen was fully tiled where as the new kitchen is only tiled so far up and the rest is plastered - thus leaving gaps where the old tiles used to be.

The photos below is how the area round the window has been left. As you can see, there is a gap between the edge of the window and the wall. I'm looking to fill this in and was wondering what the best thing to fill it in with would be?

Thanks in advance.

20171101_193940.jpg 20171101_193958.jpg

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

3. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Would have been better to have double plasterboarded the reveals before the new tiles went on. Either buy a bag of toupret interior filler or easi-fill filler and trowel it into the edge, and sand it flush, maybe two layers. Paint the tiled bottom section white, and the top section the colour of the wall. Or do as KIAB says and glue upvc quadrant beading or trim around the edge to mask the gap.

KIAB likes this.
  4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Had thought about filler, but bottom of frame, the open gap would need foaming first before using filler.

Double plasterboarded would have been the correct way, but it's too late now.

5. Kev Syme

Kev Syme New Member

Thanks for the reply. The gap is about 7mm.

I'm fairly new to DIY, i.e. - since we bought the house a few months back, so is this something that's easy to do? How would the UPVC fit over the gap?

Thanks again.

6. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

You won't be new to DIY for long if you've just bought a house mate, I can assure you! You'd superglue the upvc bead to the window frame and seal the edges with white silicone if you were using this method.

7. Kev Syme

Kev Syme New Member

Apparently I'm also a gardener now...I didn't sign up for this!!!

I'll need to go into Wickes/B&Q and have a look but will the UPVC bead overlap the window frame and cover the gap that way? Or will it be forced into the gap? Can you get curved beading - kinda triangular, two straight sides and then a curved side?

8. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

You should be able to get different sizes, I'd opt for a 12mm upvc quadrant bead if I was you, it will cover the gap, not be forced into the gap. Yes, type in quadrant bead on tinternet and a pic should come up.

9. Kev Syme

Kev Syme New Member

That's what I was poorly trying to explain. Any recommendations for what to attach it with? What sort of sealant should I be looking for? Do I need something to squeeze it out with?

Thanks for all your help.

10. Tricky Dicky

Tricky Dicky Screwfix Select

A trip to Wickes or similar outlet is required, either use the trim that KIAB suggested or maybe the quadrant detailed below, buy both, only a few quid each. See which one provides the best fit/looks. Then to screwfix for some grab adhesive, perhaps, https://www.screwfix.com/p/evo-stik-sticks-like-sh-t-290ml/22070 Fill the gap with https://www.screwfix.com/p/toupret-powdered-interior-filler-2kg/4911h toupret as mentioned earlier, but not proud of the pvc door frame.
    http://www.wickes.co.uk/Wickes-PVCu-White-Quadrant-17-5-x-2500mm/p/162617
    All the best

11. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Either white silicone, but it probably won't stay attached to the window until it cures, or superglue it to the window then seal the edges with silicone.

12. Kev Syme

Kev Syme New Member

Thanks for all your help guys. I'll give it a go at the weekend and see how it goes.

13. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Not even that possibly.

It is obvious that the reveal is not going back square, if it had, the problem may have been solved with just a bead of silicone. Even by eye it is obvious that the tiles have not gone in square at the start(windowsill).

Mr. HandyAndy - Really