How to fill gap between tiles and ceiling (previously suspended ceiling, now plastered)

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by AdamB99, Jan 9, 2017.

1. AdamB99

AdamB99 New Member

Hi,

I'm a new member so apologies if this is the wrong forum to be posting this. I searched to see if there were any similar questions but couldn't find any...

Anyway, the overflow in the loft failed and caused a leak into the bathroom while I was away, causing the suspended ceiling to collapse. Have ripped the ceiling down and got a plasterer in.

However, there is now a 2cm gap between where tiles and the newly plastered ceiling. What would be the correct filler to use to fill in the gap? I assume grout wouldn't work in this instance due to ceiling movement and cause the grout to crack.

Thanks in advance

2. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Hi mate, any chance of a photo uploaded to see what's what? I don't understand how there's nearly an inch gap when there wasn't before. Was the old ceiling lath and plaster or something, did you previously have coving up and don't now?

Joe95 likes this.
  3. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

If you've got white tiles, then you're laughing...kind of, as any bit of trim, either PVC, or white painted wood won't be too noticible once siliconed in. Anyway, sounds like plasterer has dropped a *****k, or whoever studded out the ceiling!

4. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

It's always easy pointing out the obvious after the cock up but,what's done is done so time to move on ......

What's the condition of the wall like in this gap between tiles and ceiling ? Could prep as necessary and paint white to match ceiling

But, it's always gonna look like the tiles have finished short. Think 10 mm would not notice but 20mm bit too noticeable

So as above, finish with either upvc or timber trim, loads styles to choose from and cut down to size

Or fit coving

Or baton ceiling and skim again

Or dbl skin PB and skim again

Various options really

CGN likes this.
  5. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

10mm isn't too noticeable Dave...you're right, as I had that to make up on a tiling job. Explained to the customer that to overcome it would have taken a complete row of tiles (4 walls, large format) which would also have meant cutting the top and bottom row, rather than starting with a full tile. Running into nearly £200 to gain relatively nothing!

DIYDave. and Joe95 like this.
  6. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Another option though it may or may not look cack, is to remove the top row of tiles all the way around your bathroom, and re-tile using a larger tile of a different colour or pattern, as a sort of border tile. But obviously depends on how it would look in the current design that you have.

7. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Or mosaic tile border. Strip or sheet of small tiles cut to size.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

8. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Or pizza border, toppings unsure of but personal choice I guess

As above, cut to size obviously and fix in place with the mighty Stixall

Seal pizza surface with Everbuild Stabalising Solution and may well be worthwhile using PVA on the wall before (behind pizza crust)

If slices seem a little loose or substrate is in poor condition, then toggle fixing may be used, but ensure the correct pizza rated countersink is used - double countersunk / double crust / extra pepperoni / chilli oil to lubricate drill bit / etc

If it looks ***** after all the work, then DYNAMITE al la Kools will remove said pizza slices

It's gonna look awesome man, I can tell..... :cool:

CGN likes this.
  9. Mr. Handyandy

Not sure how many of us will take that^^^^^^ the wrong way! :rolleyes:

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

10. AdamB99

AdamB99 New Member

Thanks for all the responses, I've attached a photo of one of the corners. The size of the gap actually varies across the wall, not by much but the gap isn't consistent all the way round

So background is, there used to be a plastered ceiling, then someone attached a few beams of wood across the joists and attached a tongue and groove type suspended ceiling onto this. The tiling was then done up to this suspended ceiling.

After the overflow in the loft failed and ruined the suspended ceiling, I took it all down including the wood attached to the joists and got a plasterer in. The gap is left over from the recent plastering to the top of the tile.

I'm leaning towards just using a white filler as cutting small tiles to shape sounds like a long job. Would this require special mould-resistant type filler?

Cheers

Attached Files:

11. Mr. Handyandy

Not a long job at all. Here's an example:
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Black-Gli...backs-Mosaic-Tiles-Sheet-MT0010-/390640839283

30cmx30cm. 15mmx48mm each tile. It's all on a backing sheet. Slice of the top row(you have the six tiles ready to fit), fix into your gap with tile adhesive. That's a foot done.
    Slice of the next row, another foot done, etc Slice all rows at once if you like. Adhesive and fit.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

AdamB99 and CGN like this.
  12. TheMorg

TheMorg Active Member

You can get a plastic cloaking fillet to run around the top edge, costs less than £1/metre. Seal with silicone and you wont even notice it is there.

Try your local plastic centre, or somewhere like Eurocell.

AdamB99 and CGN like this.
  13. AdamB99

AdamB99 New Member

Thanks both for the advice

14. B green

B green New Member

What is wrong with u all that is terrible expensive advice the useless plasterer should have spotted issue and double boarded or buttoned out to suit . Just board it again 12.5mm plus plaster equals no gap simple no tile removal or anything else if it's the easiest way dosnt mean it's not the best

15. stevie22

stevie22 Screwfix Select

Probably done by now!!