How to fill in a serving hatch with stud work

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Rachel26, Feb 8, 2021.

1. Rachel26

Rachel26 New Member

Hi,

I have a serving hatch between my dining room and living room. I would like to fill this in so I have removed the frame and the plan was to build stud work, insulate, add plaster board to both sides and then plaster over it.

The issue is, after taking out the frame some of the wall crumbled away so I don’t really have much wall left inside the frame to screw the studs into. Do I need to fill these in with mortar or something to provide a strong base to attach the studs to?

Thanks

Attached Files:

2. Okoak

Okoak Active Member

I'm not entirely sure I understand the problem to be honest, but if I were doing it I'd fill the hole with block work, then bonding and multi finish both sides.
    It's best practice to use the same materials rather than patch up with something different which often results in difficulty making the area invisible.

RolandK likes this.
  3. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

As above. Few long screws around edge to help hold at joins not that they are needed with that bit. Sand, cement and concrete blocks. Just bang in best you can and don't worry about the wobble as when dry it will be solid. Bonding and drag straight edge over to make level then skim.

When I blocked up my wall doorway I had to jam some stones in to keep straight and it wobbled a bit. Following day was solid