How to fit worktop without a base cabinet

Discussion in 'Kitchen Fitters' Talk' started by Jocharem, Sep 15, 2022.

1. Jocharem

Jocharem New Member

Hello,

Wonder if anyone could help with this problem: I’ve got a wooden worktop above the washing machine currently supported with batons at the back and sides. These have been glued. One side is glued to the fridge (see pics). This fridge is now nearing the end of its life and I want to replace it.
    I don’t then want to glue a baton to the new fridge as would ideally have an alternative support for the worktop so appliances could be fixed or replaced in the future without needing to cut them out.

There’s no space for a unit or vertical support between the fridge and washing machine as the space for both of them is only 110cm (50cm fridge and 60cm washing machine). No wiggle room there.

I’ve looked at getting a heavy duty bracket for that side but there’s only 9cm of space on the wall to attach it to as there’s a load of cabling boxed in running all the way behind the units.

Any other ideas how to make this work would be so appreciated. 51B70C7D-FED3-41AC-B573-F41C64DA4016.jpeg

Attached Files:

2. FlyByNight

FlyByNight Screwfix Select

Do you have even 5mm to play with?

Or possibly look for a 480/490 mm width fridge freezer?

3. Jocharem

Jocharem New Member

Could cut out the boxing to the other side of the fridge which would give a few mms. Have looked at smaller fridge freezers and there are a few though would ideally like to upgrade to one with more capacity rather than less. There is one 470mm though has terrible reviews….

4. FlyByNight

If you could get 6mm, get a piece of stainless steel, full height with a right angle bend at teh bottom. Screw through into the end of the worktop, and the base screwed to teh floor. Also, make sure the rear and side battens are fully screwed into the worktop. You will have a gap to fill but a length of painted beading would suffice. Overall not the prettiest, but practical.

5. Jocharem

Jocharem New Member

Thanks, that’s a really good idea. At this moment in time beauty comes in second to functionality! I’m going to have another look at fridge options to see if I can get a few more mms.

6. rogerk101

rogerk101 Screwfix Select

You could consider hanging the front left corner of the worktop from the ceiling with a vertical cable, or from higher up the wall with a diagonal cable.

McSport likes this.
  7. Jocharem

Jocharem New Member

That’s a novel solution - what sort of size cable would you use?

8. chesterw

chesterw Well-Known Member

Get some shallow unistrut, if you're unfamiliar with it, it is C shaped section, then form the worktop edges to fit into the C section

9. FlyByNight

Something like 4mm diameter will be adequate: https://jakob.co.uk/?ppc_keyword=ja...MIk5Wo9_eW-gIVmuvtCh2Uww-yEAAYASAAEgIT0vD_BwE for te various parts and include a turnbuckle at the ceiling end to tweak it and keep it taut.

McSport and rogerk101 like this.
  10. Jocharem

Jocharem New Member

I’m not familiar with this. Would this be attached to a plate on the the wall?

11. Jocharem

Jocharem New Member

12. Jocharem

Jocharem New Member

Saying that, just seen 4mm wire for hanging heavy pictures that’d take up to 500kg (using 2) for £4.99

13. FlyByNight

Yes Jakob can be expensive - but they have a good range. There are other brands out there too. If you have a Yacht Chandler nearby they may be able to assist too.

And 500kg for two 4mm wire seems a little low ... I would be expecting a lot more, so you need to ask what they are made from.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2022
  14. rogerk101

rogerk101 Screwfix Select

The only snag with yachting chandler stuff is that it's usually stainless steel so expensive. Besides I don't know any poor yacht owners!
    I've bought plenty of steel cables, eyes, crimps, turnbuckles, etc. off eBay for very reasonable prices. I doubt whether an entire kit's worth of stuff would cost much more than a tenner.

15. FlyByNight

I used a Chandler in central London for some 3-4 mm security cables - stainless, with a ball on one end and a loop on the other or two loops and they were under £10 each. Made on the premises.

rogerk101 likes this.
  16. McSport

McSport Screwfix Select

17. chesterw

chesterw Well-Known Member

unistrut.png

You could also use angle iron