How to fix a hole in the wall STRONGLY?

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by DraxDomax, Dec 19, 2022.

1. DraxDomax

DraxDomax New Member

I've looked all over the internet and the advice seems to be only for "dry wall" and for "aesthetic" repairs.

However, my problem is with a Brick wall and I actually need it to hold a little something, not just appear smooth...

When we moved in, there was a lot of material gouged out of one brick wall (other side is the neighbors).
    Size of that "hole" (or "divot"?) is about big enough to fit an apple inside.
    I mixed some plaster and whacked it in there in 3 go's. Then, I sanded it and it was really smooth and nice :)

However, the Mrs. wants a coat hanger in that spot exactly.
    I drilled a hole and plugged a plastic anchor in there. It felt fine as I was screwing the hook in but after months of use, the hole is crumbling out.
    I tried again with filling the hole with plaster and a new anchor - couple of months and her coat fell on the floor again, together with the anchor :)

I don't think it's reasonable to drill 10-12 cm in, to get into some brick. Actually I am not sure there's a lot of brick left anyway!
    Would rather fill that hole with something STRONG.

But I have no idea how walls are made.

Please help with suggestions how to fix that hole. So, that it can be both strong enough for a coat hanger and be finished smoothly.

I guess plaster isn't the right material for the job? I think some other materials I've heard about "mortar", "render"... Maybe cement?

Thanks in advance for your help :)

2. AnotherTopJob

AnotherTopJob Screwfix Select

A photo would help to give a better idea of a solution.
    However, if it's a single coat hanger you could attach a square of wood over the hole and into solid brick, and then attach the hanger to that.

Deleted member 246321 likes this.
  3. DraxDomax

DraxDomax New Member

thanks for the time investing trying to help but I don't think this is in the right direction.

A picture can't help us very much right now. Imagine if you had a wall with a plastic anchor in it and you took out the anchor. So, now you have a slightly rough little bore in the wall - that's all that it is, right now...

The problem, I believe, is with the material I used to fill the big gouge in the wall (I don't have a picture of that before my fix). The anchor sits all in plaster.

As for brickwork - I am telling you there's no brickwork :D Maybe if I drilled 12 cm in, I would reach a really thin piece of brick that was left...

What I am thinking right now: Get in that hole with a chisel and hammer out a large-ish hole in the wall, somewhat recreating the initial hole I was fixing.
    BUT this time fill it with something else than plaster...

The question is what? :)

4. DraxDomax

DraxDomax New Member

5. AnotherTopJob

AnotherTopJob Screwfix Select

I was assuming you're trying to fill a hole the size of an apple? In any case as you found out, plaster has very little strength and will easily crumble.
    The filler you suggest should do the job. If the brick surface is dusty it would probably benefit from priming to aid adhesion.

6. DraxDomax

DraxDomax New Member

No, I mixed some plaster and whacked it in there in 3 go's. Then, I sanded it and it was really smooth and nice :)

Going to break off some of the plaster and put some of that "filla" stuff instead.

Do you reckon I need to go all the way down to brick? I think I'll just gouge it a bit to make an elliptic hole (so the filla stuff doesn't just spin inside the plaster, LOL).

I'll even put the plastic anchor already when it's still wet, so that I don't have to disturb the fix with any drilling afterwards.

It's interesting that apparently on Wilko have the Polyfilla Strong Hold product... Even the Poly site doesn't have that product listed!
    What does screwfix have which is equivalent?

7. Roger 93:20

Roger 93:20 Member

Try and fill the hole with chemical anchor . Fischer - Screwfix number 3613X . Cheaper alternatives available

8. Richard_

Richard_ Screwfix Select

The joys of old walls! You have two options:

1 - Remove all the plaster and fill the hole with mortar. That can slump a bit so I usually pack with brick offcuts or stone or tiles or whatever is to hand. Likely the hole might get bigger as you break out the plaster. If you're really unlucky with old walls you find a huge patch of plaster falls away if you so much as look at it with a tool in your hand. After all that you'll need to skim with filler/plaster over the top. All in all a bit of bother.

2 - Much simpler is to recreate a resin anchor so the concentrated load from your hook can distribute into the soft plaster.

Take out the plastic plug, twiddle a long screw in the hole to scrape any loose bits and blow any dust out of the hole (shut your eyes!). Then stick some grip adhesive (no nails stuff) into the hole to fill it up using the nozzle to make sure it fills at the back of the hole and finally push a new plastic plug into the filled hole. Smooth out the grip adhesive so the surface is slightly recessed.

Leave for 24 hours and smooth the slight recess with a decorators filler. Once that has set you can screw the hook into the plastic plug.

9. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

Drill hole
    Place dynamite in it
    After explosion fill with sand / cement
    Level off with plaster

10. gadget man

gadget man Screwfix Select

That creates too much dust to be honest...:D

koolpc likes this.