How to fix - large corner of missing plaster

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Dodgers, Jan 9, 2020.

1. Dodgers

Dodgers New Member

Good afternoon,

Attached is a picture of a doorway in my garage. I've no idea what's happened to the corner of the wall, perhaps it had to be knocked off by the previous owners to fit something through the door?

In any case I would like to fix it. It means building back up the plaster (not sure what product to use - do it in layers or all in one go?) and re-establishing the corner itself (corner bead or something?).

It's just the garage so doesn't have to be perfect! The corner will probably be reinforced with a full length corner brace anyway so it'll hide any imperfections.

Would be grateful for suggestions.

Attached Files:

2. jackelliott07

jackelliott07 Active Member

I would bond that out, but the difficulty is going to be in forming the corner.

Just my 2 cents, and somebody may have much better advice, but if this was me DIYing it i would do the following;

Bond out as square as possible, 'bed' a length of cornerbead into the bonding to create corner, and then skim level with existing.

Probably a slightly rough way of working, but given its the garage and you say it doesn't need to be perfect, it might do the trick..

3. Jimbo

Jimbo Screwfix Select

You could cover it with a timber/metal/uPVC corner capping then plaster up to it on the lightswitch side.

4. Dodgers

Dodgers New Member

Thanks for your input. I think this is what I'm going to do.

When you say 'bond it out,' what product would you use to do so?

5. Hans_25

Hans_25 Screwfix Select

6. jackelliott07

jackelliott07 Active Member

As above - or if you want a smaller bag (although not really much cheaper... just saves on waste/hastle of getting rid if you don't need it elsewhere) you could use the following; https://www.wickes.co.uk/British-Gypsum-Thistle-Undercoat-Plaster---12-5kg/p/141938

Essentially you'd be 'freehanding' the plaster to get as square as you realistically can, and then bedding the corner bead in and (hopefully) using that to get your end product nice and (hopefully) square. Might be other ways to artificially form a corner but i think this would probably do the trick

7. carl24bpool

carl24bpool Active Member

I would cut a strip of 12.5mm plasterboard to fit up the door reveal. Ensure it is the right width to form a corner that is flush with the main wall. Use a straight edge to get it in teh right position. Ideally you want it a few mm back from being flush so that your skim bead sits flush once fitted.

Then just fill in the other side with bonding coat. Once set, fit a skim bead and skim both sides.

8. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Seal with pva. Thinned wood glue will do if you have plenty already. Put a few long screws in blocks but leave most of screw exposed with post like sticking out. This will reinforce area and bonding will wrap around screw. Bang some bonding in. Just as its setting shape it then bang some more on and fit corner bead. Using thumb and finger run down corner bead as you want no bonding right on the edge of bead. Following day plaster. I'd use 75mm drywall screws so no rust. Oh... you will get bonding everywhere especially the floor.lol. Your going to cuss to. Its will work out fine.

9. Dodgers

Dodgers New Member

So to clarify a couple of things, as I'm finally getting round to this tomorrow;

1. Cover area with 5:1 water/PVA solution. Wait until tacky.
    2. Apply first coat of Thistle Bonding 60. Key it a little bit?
    3. (Am I then best waiting for the first coat to completely dry, then more PVA, or just stick another coat on when starting to harden?
    4. Apply second coat of bonding 60 to just shy of level.
    5. Allow to dry completely.
    6. (Next day, more PVA before using multifinish?)
    7. Apply multifinish, get level as possible. Wait until starting to harden, then smooth.

What have I missed or added in there? It seems everyone has a different idea of when to use PVA, what stages etc?

Many thanks.