How to fix plasterboard onto plywood

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by ppeetteerr, Mar 24, 2019.

1. ppeetteerr

ppeetteerr New Member

Hello, I am building a utility room and have a wooden stud wall frame ready to finish off. As i will be fitting hanging, high level kitchen cabinets I was thinking of fitting 15mm plywood first then fixing plasterboard over the top of the plywood.
    My questions are,
    1) is this the best solution
    2) what would be the best way to fix the plasterboard to the plywood.
    Regards.

2. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

1. 18mm ply
    2. PB screws

3. gas monkey

gas monkey Well-Known Member

no
    but noggins in were units are to be fixed
    screws

4. Vixere

Vixere Active Member

Do you need to fit plywood for any other reason than to mount the units? If not, then fitting noggins at the right height is surely a more sensible way?

What wall insulation are you planning to use?

5. ppeetteerr

ppeetteerr New Member

Thanks for replies guys, the plywood was for 2x reasons, to support cabinets and shelves and to help sound proofing (I'm also using Wickes rockwall) but yes I agree noggins would be best but I haven't decided on units yet so don't have measuements, perhaps that should be my next job.
    If I do use plasterboard over plywood, apart from screws (as GGN sugests) do I need to use any type of glue or plaster (as in dot and dab)

6. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

There is a new plasterboard from British Gypsum called habito. Not sure on cost but supposed to be strong.