How to fix this gaping hole?...

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Mark Griffiths, Jun 11, 2019.

1. Mark Griffiths

Mark Griffiths Active Member

Hey folks,

I'm renovating our new house and just removed the architrave around a door to access the cracks behind. The plasterwork was just resting in place and fell out at the first touch. See the photos for a better idea.

IMG_7350.jpg IMG_7351.jpg IMG_7352.jpg

How do I repair this to make sure that it doesn't happen again? I'm thinking SBR, sand & cement followed by a plaster finish (I'm plastering the wall anyway). Will that SBR allow the render to bond to the wood frame?

Thoughts, please?

Many thanks in advance.

2. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Brush down to remove remaining loose plaster and dust

PVA 1–4 mixed with water, brush on and give damaged area a good soaking - allow to dry

Fill ‘gapping hole’ with bonding plaster, smooth off with a float/piece of timber and allow to dry

Now ready for skim coat

Bonding plaster around £8 a sack, great product, if you’ve got whole house to do up, will have loads of uses for some bonding plaster, just keep remaining plaster airtight and dry as does go off, leading to extremely rapid setting (in the mixing bucket)

3. Mark Griffiths

Mark Griffiths Active Member

Thanks, Dave.

Bonding works, I've got a bag open already. In fact, I just packed out around the light switch with it before removing the architrave. Just wasn't sure that it would bond to the wood okay.

I'll dig out the PVA tomorrow.
    Thanks again.

4. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

The plaster doesn’t really bond that well to the wood but then again, this isn’t a problem

The PVA will help the bonding stick to the dusty plaster repair and help to firm up the area

A gap between door frame and plaster will be covered over by architrave anyway so no issue there

5. rogerk101

rogerk101 Screwfix Select

Belts and braces ... whack a few unrusty nails into the wood ... one every 10cm or so ... and leave them proud enough for their heads to be set into the bonding. Might not be perfect, but it certainly won't do any harm.

Mark Griffiths likes this.