How To Glaze UPVC Windows

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by SteelCityJoiner, Sep 15, 2019.

1. SteelCityJoiner

SteelCityJoiner New Member

Hi, New to the forum been a carpenter for about 7 years now, mainly do 1st fix roofs, floors etc.

A couple of the glazed units in my house have misted up so I'm going to replace them. Ive fitted a few window frames before but always let someone else glaze them.
    My question is how do you put the packers into to pack the glass without cracking the glass when you then go to put the beads back in?
    (My only very brief experience with glass is cracking a unit because id put the packers in wrong but I don't understand the 'right way to put the glass packers in')

Any help would be much appreciated, thanks.

2. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

The glazing units generally just sit on a few packers where required. Carefully get the beads out, and take the units out. Sometimes they have double sided tape so you ideally need a helper to push from the other side. As long as you measure the units carefully, then just reuse any packers you find.

3. SteelCityJoiner

SteelCityJoiner New Member

do the packers sit flush With the front of the glass before you put the beads back in?

4. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

The glazing unit just sits on the packers. Take the beads out, and you’ll see. Youll have no problems mate.

5. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Google ‘toe and heeling windows’, it is easier than trying to explain. Side openers, tilt and turn, and french doors will require this method, top or bottom openers will just need the glass packed up off the bottom by 5mm or so.