How to join square edged laminate worktops

Discussion in 'Kitchen Fitters' Talk' started by charlie-d, Jul 18, 2013.

1. charlie-d

charlie-d New Member

I have fitted a few post form edged laminate worktops by using a jig and router making a masons mitre. I have now have square edged laminate worktops 40mm thick to fit, they have 2mm thick edge band already fitted on the face edge. I need to do two joins. The kitchen is U shaped. Can I used a standard worktop jig and cut a masons mitre or does this have to be modified. will the square edge take a masons join or are there any problems doing it this way.  I have considered a butt join but that would leave a poor visible join.
    I was told to remove the exsisting edging for 600mm clean up the edge and butt join I am not sure how well the egding will release. Is there a correct way to do the joins for this type of worktop.
    Can any one advise the correct way to join this type of worktop

Thanx

2. snezza31

snezza31 New Member

Charlie D,

Do you have a Mitre Jig and Router, or are you going to buy one?

If you are planning on buying one, or hiring one even, then see if you can get one that has a 10mm mitre setting as opposed to the standard 23mm setting.

It looks far neater and requires the removal of less material than the standard jig. Most of the modern laminate worktops nowadays, do not have as large a curved shape on the front and so therefore, the angled run-in doesnt need to be as deep.

I do a lot of worktops of various shapes, profiles and materials and I dont remember the last time I did one with the jig set at 23mm. Even with a 2mm Acrylic edging on the front, i would always machine the joint with a Router and Jig. The joint will always pull together better, and is likley to seal far better as there would always be the possibility that you hadnt removed all the Acrylic adhesive from the edges of one or both boards.

Snezza.

3. charlie-d

charlie-d New Member

I have a router and jig. Can I adapt the one I have to reduce the depth of cut to 10 mm or would I be better to purchase another jig. Can you recommend a suitable jig. I presently have a trend jig.
    Thanx

4. snezza31

snezza31 New Member

5. charlie-d

charlie-d New Member

Thank you snezza for the advice given. I have purchased the jig you recommended, not a lot to pay for a good finnish.I am sure I will use it again and again.

6. snezza31

snezza31 New Member

No problem Charlie!!!

Snezza.