How to level a garden and composite fencing V wooden

Discussion in 'Landscaping and Outdoors' started by bond007, Nov 15, 2020.

1. bond007

bond007 Well-Known Member

Guys

Afte abit of advice as always. What's best method of leveling thu garden. Better to dig down nd level or top up with soil.
    Will it affect the retaining wall where the flagging is if I dig down.

As for garden fence, better to go for composite fencing or wooden one. Looking for best privacy options in back garden as it's overlooking neighbouring one.

Attached Files:

2. bond007

Anyone yet.....

3. Nev Hope

Nev Hope Active Member

If you want an instant response, you should direct you question to Google ( other search engines are available) :eek::mad::rolleyes:

4. bond007

Just thought in the layz Sunday might get someone to entertain me on this thread

5. Kas228

Kas228 Screwfix Select

It’s a big job either way, both have there advantages and disadvantages especially if you want it completely level.
    A terraced system might be best 2 or 3 steps

bond007 likes this.
  6. bond007

Would prefer to be flat.. Instead of step terrace way.. Dig down or fill up...

7. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

Big job. Lots of earth to be moved. Retaining walls built.

Terrace is a better idea,

bond007 likes this.
  8. Abrickie

Abrickie Screwfix Select

Neither ;)
    Keep the top of the fence level and let the bottom follow the contour of the ground

bond007 likes this.
  9. bond007

Terrace restricted for things like trampoline etc after.. As it's not a big enough place to begin with.

10. bond007

Against the retaining wall you mean? And let it how it is?

11. bond007

Also, any advice regarding composite fences.
    How are they like.. Anyone got first hand experience with them

12. dray

dray Screwfix Select

B007,
    Have you thought where the concrete footings will be/show once you start digging down against the terrace wall to drop the existing height?
    Have you thought what height you will need to go against that timber fence to get it level if building it up? Or am I missing something altogether here?

13. bond007

I don't want it leveling same as timber fence... Currently it's on a slope so just want level it.. Still want it terrace how it is with steps... But jus want it leveling sightly..

14. bond007

To clear any confusion. I am only wanting to level it as its currently on a slope. Don't want it leveling to the raised platform where flagging it. Don't want to go deep down so it's as low as the bottom of fence.

15. Kas228

Kas228 Screwfix Select

Personally think you are going to struggle (without major groundworks) trying to get your lawn anywhere near level. It may be that the photos make the slope look more than it is, but even so it is still going to be a massive undertaking. If not terracing what about a decked platform area, but presume you want it for kids.
    Not sure what the answer is really without spending many thousands on it....

bond007 likes this.
  16. bond007

Ye want it for the kid ideally... Jus put up a trampoline and have level ground to run bout on

17. Kas228

Kas228 Screwfix Select

What about doing a bit of both. Dig down at house end and build up at bottom end. That way what you dig out can be used to infill. Still a lot of work involved but is certainly possible.
    are you planning on diy or getting someone in to do the work. Get some landscapers round to give you some ideas.

bond007 likes this.
  18. bond007

Sounds like a plan.
    DIY to start with as been doing renovation work for many years now and have tackle and passion.
    Ye will get landscapers in to but I always like to dicuss on here first. Gives me a better idea of my options.

19. Abrickie

Abrickie Screwfix Select

Cut and fill, going to require retaining walls to both sides as well as the bottom, and to be right a party wall agreement with all 3 neighbours.

20. Kas228

Kas228 Screwfix Select

You will obviously need some sort of retaining wall at the bottom, in front of that slatted fence that’s probably your starting point and go from there. You will need some sort of mechanical assistance (digger ?). You will also need to protect the wall and foundations with railings on at the house, as you won’t be able to get too close to that and will need retainer there as well if you dig out near that. You have a lot to consider get some pros in to advise. Good luck

bond007 likes this.