how to make a slope on guttering

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by luk4sh31, Oct 15, 2021.

1. luk4sh31

luk4sh31 Member

Hello,

I'm in the process of installing a gutters for the extension and facing some challenges.

What will be the easy way to get the proper slope on 9 meter gutter? thank you

2. rogerk101

rogerk101 Screwfix Select

The proper slope is flat.
    No need for any downward slope at all. Just as long as there is no upward slope.
    I have installed dozens of gutters, all of the as horizontal as I can get them, and I've yet to have a problem with any of them. The first I did like that was 25 years ago.
    With your 9m gutter, depending on how much roof it's draining, you might want to split the outlets into at least 2 (one on each end) and maybe even 3 (with the additional one in the middle).

luk4sh31 likes this.
  3. luk4sh31

luk4sh31 Member

thank you

4. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Set your gutter bracket furthest away from the downpipe as high as you can using a small offcut of gutter to set the position of the bracket without it touching or interfering with the roof tile, down about an inch, now theoretically the slope on a gutter should be about an 1/8th of an inch every 2 foot so your 9m span should be roughly a 2 inch fall over that span but it really depends on if the fascia and in turn the wallplate is level, so realistically set your end gutter bracket next to the downpipe more or less in line, then string a line from one bracket to another. Space your remaining gutter brackets between every 7-800mm or so. Done.

luk4sh31 likes this.
  5. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

One way and what I do.
    Long straight batten 3.6m ish or longer and mark it with bracket spacing.
    Fix first bracket.
    Rest batten on bracket and with slight fall fix another bracket 3+m away.
    Now all the other brackets between using batten as guide for position.
    Now slide batten along brackets and fix another bracket then repeat.
    Think about starting at lowest or highest point it's up to you but I normally start as highest.
    Also this deep guttering is getting popular vs shallow standard.
    Also you can tape spirit level to batten to show fall.

luk4sh31 likes this.
  6. stevie22

stevie22 Screwfix Select

Flat is acceptable in the regs but a fall is always going to be better

luk4sh31 and Abrickie like this.
  7. Severntrent

Severntrent Screwfix Select

Flat will work as like flat paving slabs dispel water but a slope will enable gutter to discharge more water without overtopping but those sort of rain storms are few and far between so either way is sound

luk4sh31 and Abrickie like this.
  8. Abrickie

Abrickie Screwfix Select

Whereas flat indeed works, the ‘proper’ fall is what is recommended by the manufacturer ;)

luk4sh31 likes this.
  9. luk4sh31

luk4sh31 Member

thank you everyone for your help.

10. Bob Rathbone

Bob Rathbone Screwfix Select

Putting a fall on the run will also help move any debris that collects due to moss or leaves. Flat looks good and it will work but I prefer to set a gradient.

luk4sh31 likes this.