How to make an extra wide island too from 2 laminate worktops.

Discussion in 'Kitchen Fitters' Talk' started by Marconi1982, Jul 8, 2021.

1. Marconi1982

Marconi1982 New Member

Hi guys,

mom surprised I can’t seem to find much/any info on this but I’m after a wide island worktop and don’t seem to be available any wider than 1200mm.

Our worktop needs to be 1500mm wide and around 2200 in length.

Can I buy two 900mm breakfast bar tops and join them back to back? (Obviously cut to make the 1500mm).

Surely it’s no different to joining the tops in the corners with regards to the method.

We will be having a butchers block style so can probably lose the join along one of the block lines.

Does anyone have any tips/ideas or suggestions as to how to go about this? What tools/fixings.

the worktops will also need a radius applying the all 4 corners to sling for curved under units. It will obviously have to be square edged.

Thanks

Marcus

2. kitfit1

kitfit1 Screwfix Select

You have already given most of the answers in your own question. Yes, you wiil need 2 worktops, only one of them needs to bee 900mm though, the other can be 600mm. Even if you have to take 1mm of the back of each top, no one will ever notice it. If the worktops are PVC edged, then what you want to do is fairly easy and strait forward.

3. Tilt

Tilt Screwfix Select

Yes, just buy decent quality worktops like Duropal or Axiom, if you want it to last........