How to paint on lining paper that had wallpaper over it?

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by OhhGeeMee, Aug 27, 2021.

1. OhhGeeMee

OhhGeeMee New Member

Hi

Money is a bit tight so wondering what's the best way of going about painting this wall on a budget.

It's a 1900 ish house 2 up 2 down mid terrace. One wall in the lounge previously had some wallpaper on it. It came off really easily leaving behind some lining paper. It looks to be in fairly good condition and there is limited residue on the lining paper.

I want to paint the wall. How should I go about doing it in a way that looks good, but on a budget - doesn't need to be absolutely perfect.

Should I first wipe down the lining paper (but not soak it), then repair any loose bits of paper, then fill any gaps, then sand down the filled bits wipe and paint?

Any advice would be appreciated! Cheers

Last edited: Aug 27, 2021
  2. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Prime with gardz

3. OhhGeeMee

OhhGeeMee New Member

Cool - if you were to list out what you'd do, would this be the last thing you'd do before painting?

4. woodbutcherbower

woodbutcherbower Screwfix Select

It's possibly not lining paper - it's likely to be the backing sheet of the wallpaper you took off. The minute you wet it with paint, it will blister, bubble up and come off. Try it .....

Truckcab79 likes this.
  5. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

First get gardz on.
    Fill
    Spot prime with gardz over filler and paint.

As above I doubt it lining and could be problems with bubbles and coming away. Seen it done though and OK although I'd not attempt myself

6. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

Best bet would be to scrape it all off. Extra work now but in the long run could save you even more work and money!

Wayners likes this.