How to patch this hole?

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by AYTL, Aug 21, 2019.

1. AYTL

AYTL New Member

Hi everyone, would appreciate any tips to patch the hole in the picture. Plan to patch it up then cover with new door architraves.

Attached Files:

2. Mun.Rassul

Mun.Rassul New Member

I would use expanding foam to fill up the gap next to the brick, carefully chisel away the plaster there so its all straight edged, stick a piece of plasterboard and then skim over it, my DIY way of doing it.

A more experience person on the forum might have a much better way of doing it .

AYTL likes this.
  3. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Masking tape down door frame. Water down some wood glue or pva to seal. Filler. Pull tape. Masking down frame again. Sand. Fill, sand again untll smooth. Don't look that big so toupret powder filler will do it nicely from screwfix

AYTL likes this.
  4. billathome65

billathome65 Member

I'd use a mix of the two responses 1 clean the area 2 damp the area using dilute pva 3 use expanding foam leave to go off then trim back and press it below existing surface 4 use easi fill or similar leave to dry then repeat and rub down 5 dilute pva 6 bin primer 7 paint that would be my aproach.

AYTL likes this.
  5. AYTL

AYTL New Member

Thanks everyone for your helpful advice, will try them!

6. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Are you fitting the door trim (architrave) back ?

7. AYTL

AYTL New Member

Yes I am!

8. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

Foam. Architrave. Caulking. Paint.

9. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

The gaps aren't too bad you could cover it with architrave or if they are quite deep you could try and get some expanding foam into the gaps - but it will be about £7 a tin for a disposable or £20 for a reusable gun and foam.

10. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Easy fill takes days to dry vs toupret that will be 24 hours or less

11. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

If it is being covered with architrave why use a chalk based filler ?

12. billathome65

billathome65 Member

I did say or similar. However I've never had an issue with either used easi fill as an example filler as a possible filling approach.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2019
  13. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Yeah.. I got that.. I was just making a point incase there was a time limit. Easy fill is better value to. I do use myself sometimes..