How to prepare and paint retaining wall

Discussion in 'Getting Started FAQ' started by Mint70s, May 11, 2019.

1. Mint70s

Mint70s New Member

This is my first post and hoping for some good advice!

I have quite a large retaining wall that had been rendered by previous owners. The render all crumbled - I assume because it’s sometimes damp. Eventually I want to clad some of the wall but can’t afford to yet and just need a quick fix for a couple of years.

I want to paint it in the meantime. I’ve removed all the old render and just need the next stages. Some cracks need filling (but not sure what to use) and I’m presuming I’ll need some bleach and masonry paint but not entirely sure.

Thanks all.

2. gas monkey

gas monkey Well-Known Member

bleach with hard brush jet wash add a bit of water to the 1st coat rolleraway

3. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Lime wash.

4. gas monkey

gas monkey Well-Known Member

lime wash good call

5. Mint70s

Mint70s New Member

Thanks for the replies. So, I’m a diy beginner so assume I know nothing! I need to know:

1. What do I fill cracks/gaps with?
    2. Lime wash instead of bleach? and does it need to dry or do I paint straight away?
    3. Will I need a primer before masonry paint?

Step by step please!

Thanks

6. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

If wall is crumbling jet washing is best avoided, Lime Wash is a breathable paint not a cleaning agent. You could clean the wall with a fungicidal wash prior to painting but follow instructions on container.

7. Mint70s

Mint70s New Member

That’s great, thank you