how to remove a wooden framed window... please help !

Discussion in 'Getting Started FAQ' started by chrisr123, Sep 12, 2019.

1. chrisr123

chrisr123 New Member

I have a wooden framed glass door and surround to remove. This is currently separating the kitchen and conservatory. The door is glass top to bottom and each side of the door is also glass floor to ceiling other than a 2 inch wooden frame the whole thing sits in.. the whole thing needs to come out, ideally without me smashing glass...

I'm assuming the following;
    Step 1, get the door off the hinges and out of the way.
    Step 2, caulk removed
    step 3 cutting the frame out somehow

any suggestions on how I do this would be greatly apppreciated.

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Post a photo,makes things clearer.:)

Would tape glass both side before removing incase it's not safety glass & it shatters,do wear thick gloves & eye protection when removing glass.

You might be able to remove beading around window & remove glass in one piece.

3. jonathanc

jonathanc Guest

Just before you take the frame out: is there a lintel above it. Would not surprise me if the frame were supporting the bricks above...

Astramax likes this.
  4. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Excellent advice.

5. chrisr123

chrisr123 New Member

6. chrisr123

chrisr123 New Member

Is this a lintel ?

Attached Files:

7. koolpc

koolpc Screwfix Select

Dynamite.

8. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Looks like one,otherwise that soldier course wouldn't be supportered,wouldn't think door frame is load bearing..

All looks pretty easy to take frame out.

Hfs likes this.
  9. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

This shouldn't be difficult or dangerous to complete but I cant comment on lintel situation. As for the doors,frame, glass;

Looks like double glazed units as can see the spacer bar in pictures ?

Remove door from hinges

Look at side panels, glass unit will be held in place with beading that's pined to frame. Use a chisel to get under beading and prise upwards, once you get first bit up, work along beading with chisel to fully remove
    Have another pair of hand to push glass into frame as you remove last section of bead to save any accidents !

Again with two of you, a light push on the glass and the panel will come forwards and out

Outer frame is likely to be screwed through and into brick so look for the fixings, maybe exposed screw heads, covered with plastic caps, or possibly countersunk and holes filled. If filled, look closely and you may be able to see tell tale signs where holes have been filled. If so, dig out filler (old screwdriver) to reveal screw heads

Cut away silicone/caulk and frame may come out complete. If not, make a few cuts with a hand saw through frame and ease out with a crowbar type tool, protect bricks by using a piece of plywood between bricks and tool

If your not planning on keeping or using these doors, then it doesn't really matter how they come out but yes, glass removal is first stage - after that, happy days :)

10. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Once you get sidelight glazed units out, you will find the fixings that attach frame to the brick work.

11. ajohn

ajohn Screwfix Select

Later you may find that there must be an exterior door between a conservatory and a house unless the conservatory meets building regs re insulation mainly. No permanent heating as well without that.

John
    -

Richard_ likes this.
  12. jonathanc

jonathanc Guest

Yep that galvanised steel is lintel. So just rip it out. Do note the comment re building regs etc the main reason is thermal efficiency because conservatories are boiling in summer and freezing in winter

13. chrisr123

chrisr123 New Member

Thank you for your advice everyone ... it’s hugely appreciated. Already sorted with building regs what’s needed.. we’ve put up batterns, yps quilt, more batterns then insulated plasterboard. Hopefully should meet the thermal testing as it’s exactly the same stuff the pros who quoted us use I think.. frame out tomorrow fingers crossed