How to remove metal tiling trim?

Discussion in 'Tilers' Talk' started by Richard764, Sep 27, 2022.

1. Richard764

Richard764 Member

Morning all

Looking for advice... I need to remove a metal tiling trim and extend the hearth under a log burner for a larger one to go in, question is how do i safely remove the metal trim without damaging the existing tiles?

Photos below

Any help would be massively appreciated IMG-20220926-WA0007.jpg IMG-20220926-WA0010.jpg

Attached Files:

2. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Try a bi metal cutting blade in a multitool and cut from above.

Richard764 likes this.
  3. Truckcab79

Truckcab79 Screwfix Select

Multi tool as Jord76 says. Personal choice but if it were me I’d go in from the side first and cut it down away from the edge so that when I go in from the top I can keep the blade away from the edge of the tiles to avoid chipping. Twice as much work obviously. If the tile edges are never going to be on show then you can do the first cut with an angle grinder though it’s a bit tight and cutting discs don’t like ali much either.

Richard764 likes this.
  4. Richard764

Richard764 Member

Massive thanks both

Will invest in some fresh blades and take my time with the multi tool

Great advice both, appreciate it

5. Hausfix

Hausfix Screwfix Select

I’m going to sound like a mad scientist here, but if the trim is aluminium, buy a small bottle of pure Gallium and put a few drops of it in the gap where the trim meets the tile. A few hours later the Gallium will travel through the aluminium and the reaction will crystallise the aluminium and it will just crumble away..
    Otherwise, what the others said.

Richard764 likes this.
  6. Richard764

Richard764 Member

Thats serious mad scientist stuff. Any risk using that with contact to the tiles or the laminate?

7. Hausfix

Hausfix Screwfix Select

Can’t say I know to be honest, all I know is when you put Gallium onto Aluminium it actually travels through the crystalline structure of the Aluminium and breaks it apart.. There will be a YouTube video of the reaction if you’re curious.