how to remove silicon between shower door frame and wall

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Lollipops, Feb 5, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Lollipops

Lollipops Member

Hi, I just found my shower tray is cracked and leaking, so plan to replace an new shower tray. I have unscrew the bi fold shower door but the door frame and tiles are sealed by silicon, so I can’t take the door off. I have tried to use sharp knife to scrape it and or seems not working very well. Does anyone know how to remove the silicon between door frame and tiles effectively? Thanks

2. dcox

dcox Screwfix Select

I use one of those snap-off blade knives with the blade extended right out. Start at the top forcing the blade between the channel and wall. It will be difficult to start with.

WillyEckerslike likes this.
  3. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

This is what I do as well. Take care not to exert too much pressure however or the blade may snap leaving a section behind which can be tricky to extract.

Edit: Aimed at OP by the way...

4. DIY0001

DIY0001 Active Member

An old credit card or similar to avoid damage to either frame or tiles. Use a Stanley knife to create a sharp edge down one side of the card, then push it between frame and tiles.

5. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Once the frame is off (flexi craft knife type blade is the best/easiest method by far) you want to really clean up the wall and frame before fixing back in place
    Remove the bulk of the silicone with the knife, then use this product to remove the remaining;

https://www.screwfix.com/p/no-nonsense-sealant-remover-100ml/88987?_requestid=335009

Easy and pleasant to use, brush on with supplied brush (inside cap) leave around 15 mins then you can use the credit card trick or similar to remove the soft gungy silicone that's left. Wash wall and frame with hot soapy water to remove residue, 2nd application if needed

If frame is well stuck to wall with sili, sorry but a credit card aint gonna remove it.... no way on earth :confused:

6. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Years ago a credit card advert claimed that 'American Express opens many doors'........... especially ones fitted with YALE locks!

7. Chris Jackson

Chris Jackson New Member

Silicone caulking is used in showers to seal the gaps in each corner where two tiled ... the bathtub and the base of the tiled wall, and to seal the shower door frame.

8. DIY0001

DIY0001 Active Member

Don't knock it till you've tried it. ;)

A suitably sharpened credit card will easily slice through the silicon without risk of scratching the other materials.

Astramax likes this.
  9. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

And if you lose your keys refer to post #6. :) or :eek: