How to remove the old kitchen tap

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by M Z, Jun 19, 2022.

1. M Z

M Z New Member

Seems like the parts to remove it are behind the basin which i can not access it.

Any suggestions?

Attached Files:

2. dcox

dcox Screwfix Select

Isn’t there a gap between the the sink bowl and the back of the unit - where those flexi tap hoses are?

3. vrDrew63

vrDrew63 Active Member

I think the tool you need is called a basin wrench.

Short video on how to use one here.

Having used one of these a couple of times I think I can say it's one of the reasons that good plumbers are worth every penny they earn.

4. ginger tuffs

ginger tuffs Screwfix Select

You need 10mm or 12mm box spanner to undo nut on tap turn off valve undo flex’s then pull tap out some times it’s easier to remove bason

5. MRY

MRY Screwfix Select

6. M Z

M Z New Member

There is a hole where the cables are coming from behind a panel. Not sure how they did that.
    I can remove the valve but surely the tap is secure under somewhere behind there.

7. M Z

M Z New Member

No gap, only a hole where the hoses are coming from.. I also thought the were a gap as well.

8. andy48

andy48 Screwfix Select

Given that the tap has flex hoses (not cables) for the hot and cold supply then:
    1. The body of the tap will almost certainly be secured with one or two 10 / 12 mm nuts on one or two threaded studs. The studs will pass through a "horseshoe" washer.
    2. To undo those will require a box spanner as suggested by ginger tuffs. Something like Screwfix 6057H.
    3. Neither of the basin wrenches suggested by vrDrew63 or MRY are likely to be useful, unless it is one of the relatively rare taps with a single large securing nut.
    4. If you can't see where the flexi hoses enter the body of the tap, you have no option but to cut away and remove the top part of the back panel. You can always repair it after the job is done, and make the repair removable ready for the next time.

9. M Z

M Z New Member

Agree with you.. I've ordered from amazon and should get it tomorrow. I will give it a go and see. They must have secured the tap and then put the board after.

Thanks everyone for your help.