How To Remove Tiles Without Breaking Them

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by JJSully, Apr 14, 2016.

1. JJSully

JJSully New Member

Hello Everyone,

I really could use some help. Although some of my questions you may have already answered for other people I would really appreciate any answers.

My name is Jay, and I have a severe disability that consequently makes me electric wheelchair bound/unable to walk.

I have currently purchased a property. However unfortunately for the past 6 months I haven't been able to live in it as the bathroom has not been adapted for a disabled person. The reason it has taken so long is due to my budget and builders charging extortionate quotes.

After speaking with 2 of my family members that are skilled in building/fixing bits and bobs they willing to help in a charitable way for a very low price, make the bathroom accessible.

The plan is to split the big bathroom in to 2 bathrooms, one large and one very small.

The tiles currently in the bathroom.......Now I would like to remove the tiles without breaking them and relocate the tiles into the new small bathroom saving money. The tiles are 15 years old but are original and are in perfect condition.

The size of the bathroom tiles are about 20x40cm.

My family are more of a demolish and chuck so I want to try and rescue the tiles before they start.

I have a friend with minor building experience who is willing to try and remove the tiles without breaking them for me,

I just need some advice on what tools/where to buy and what process should he follow?

I have found the following -----

Grout Removal
    http://www.screwfix....ke-cutter/17903

Suction Pad
    http://www.screwfix....CFfYy0wod-OAAIA

Pry Bar
    http://www.toolstati...lity Bar/p14195

SDS+ Ceramic Tile Removing Remover Chisel Cranked Angled Bent
    http://www.bamfordtr...CFYIW0wodp7sCcQ

If you could write back with your views and opinion I would be grateful.

Regards,

Jay

2. frosty82

frosty82 Member

Being honest depending on how they have originally been layed and what tools you already have, it might not save you any money in the long run.
    If you manage to get them up in one, with no breakages, you will need to clean off all the old grout and adhesive ready to be re-layed.
    Not to mention money for a tile cutter (if you don't have one) new adhesive, flexible for floors, and grout.
    They are fairly good sized tiles, however this means when you have scraped all the grout out, you will get weak spots probe to splitting the tile on removal due to leverage of a large area.I might be wrong and I'm sure someone will say if I am!
    What about an off cut of vinyl flooring? Bet you could pick some up for less than re fitting material costs.
    Or if you have concrete floors you could paint with a decent non slip floor paint, as long as floor is smooth enough not to interfere with your chair wheels moving easily etc.
    Sorry to sound negative on your idea of salvaging, however sometimes it doesn't work out to be the money saving option.:(

3. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Well-Known Member

Hi Jay and welcome to the forum
    I'm only a diyer, plenty of experience though and a bit of a know all (well almost) ;)

Here's my take on the above situation.......in a nutshell, re-using tiles.......it aint gonna happen mate - sorry

The odd tile may pop off, usually due to poor surface prep or laying technique, or constant water damage, ie, a leaky shower over a period of time. The chances off a complete room of tiles just lifting off is, I would think, zero

Even if a few dozen were to come off, some would chip, do you have any spares ? You're never going to end up with an amount of tiles to re-use. Any that do come off need to be cleaned up and traces of old adhesive, plaster removing before being re-laid. Again more risk of damaging the precious tiles that you have saved

Now the links above to the tools, not being sarcastic honest but absolutely of no use to you;

1. Ok for removing grout from 1 or 2 tiles but pretty useless tool really. A whole bathroom.....forget it

2. These are for laying large format tiles, usually on a floor to get them nice and level and stop your fingers going in the prepared bed. Removing tiles....Nah it aint gonna happen

3. and 4. Well yep both these tools will for sure, remove your tiles, but in a million pieces :eek: They are designed for fast efficient removal but total destruction at the same time. Unless you want a mosaic finish or ur good at jigsaws :D

So...... new tiles it is Jay. You don't need to spend a fortune. Get your friend to measure rooms, wall by wall if you like or calculate sq mtr
    Take a sketch of the rooms / walls with you and measurements, including windows, doors, other areas that wont be tiled
    Try several tile suppliers, look at end of range options which can be massively reduced

B & Q value plain white tiles are always super cheap. The grout and adhesive will cost you much more than the tiles - please use descent quality gear though, appreciate you have budget concerns but bathrooms need descent adhesive and grout - not combined muck in a bucket

http://www.diy.com/departments/core-white-ceramic-wall-tile-pack-of-44-l150mm-w150mm/42469_BQ.prd

That's price per box... cheap enough ?
    Please ask many more questions Jay, this is a great forum

4. Astramax

Astramax Well-Known Member

Jay, can you not get a grant from your local council?

5. JJSully

JJSully New Member

Evening gentleman,

Firstly I really do appreciate all your advice. I am one for some crazy ideas, probably because being in a wheelchair I can't do it myself. So it looks like my girlfriend was right, I will have to buy her a big box of chocolates and eat some humble pie.

If at all anyone knows of any cheap tiles either from your building work that are going to waste or happen to stubble across some, I would be more than happy to buy them from you. I think it would need 5m2 for the walls.

Kind regards and again appreciate all your help.

6. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

You co9uld tyry this: Use a steamer with a nozzle to soften the grout, makes it really easy to scrape out. Then throughly soak the wall/tiles (Drench the walls and leave for an hour), and hope that they become loose.
    Once you've got one off you'll be able to get a flat palette blade/wallpaper scraper in there to help.
    Worst comes to the worst, you're gonna rip it down anyway.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

7. frosty82

frosty82 Member

Sorry Jay....have no idea why I assumed you were talking about floor tiles, hence suggestion of vinyl and floor paint! Haha just about sums up my week so far! :eek:

8. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Well-Known Member

Jay, with all due respect I sent you a link to a B&Q value tile
    For the 5m2 you've estimated that's only £21.00

As I said, ady and grout is gonna be more than the tiles. Realise you have mobility issues but shop around, there are bargains to be had

9. JJSully

JJSully New Member

Sorry Dave... didn't see that ... having a look now Regards

10. CGN

CGN Well-Known Member

Whereabouts are you based Jay?

11. parahandy

parahandy Well-Known Member

Bin that notion.

CGN likes this.