how to renew old "Lathe and Plaster" walls and ceiling

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by rk_diy, Sep 20, 2019.

1. rk_diy

rk_diy Member

Hi;
    I am about to move into an old 1930s house, it hasnt been modernised for sometime. All the walls and ceiling are old "lathe and plaster" with several layers of wall paper and some ceilings with polystyrene tiles.
    Need quite modernisation but once I start removing the wall papers and tiles probably some plasters may fall down as well.
    I prefer to remove all coverings and lathes and put new plaster boards but seem a lot of work, should i go just for patch repairs? whats the best way to put a solid new plastered walls and ceilings? Any idea about the whole cost of removing old ones, new dry walling, plastering and painting? (labour cost per sqm or per day in London?)

2. rogerk101

rogerk101 Screwfix Select

Rip it all out and replace with plasterboard.
    It's a great opportunity to make any wiring changes that you might want, e.g. more power sockets, recessed lights, additional light switches, adding new telephone cables or cat6 cables, etc.

KIAB and Heat like this.
  3. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Waste of time & effort patching,have it all down,it's is a filty job, dust gets everywhere,ceilings on first floor can be pushed down from attic, if no floor.

Joe the Plumber likes this.
  4. Richard_

Richard_ Screwfix Select

I'd avoid ripping out, especially if you are moving in and sleeping there. It'll open a huge can of worms and your lungs/skin will never forgive you. It'll also incur needless cost.

Overclad ceiling tiles with 9.5mm. You can also overclad the walls ... but that causes problems with door architrave and skirting.

Have you actually tried tidying up the walls yet? Have faith in being able to scrape the old paper off without pulling the plaster away. Then use decent lining paper on old walls, it tends to preserve the character while masking defects. It also save redoing the skirting.

5. 14th edition

14th edition Well-Known Member

Its a difficult call but ripping it all down is unbelievably filthy god only knows what will come down from the loft ceiling!! Also dont discount the risk of asbestos in building materials, particularly old artex type ceiling finishes. But if you want a new start its the way to go particularly as rogerk101 says you can sort all the extra wiring really easily. Get some NBC suits and good quality face masks!

6. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

And wear a hard hat, you never know what might come down with the ceiling,bricks,lumps of wood,etc.

7. If the walls and ceilings are not live, there is no need at all to rip all the lathe and plaster off.
    The plaster work could very well be fine once stripped and only need a lining paper.

Wiring can be easily carried out without having to remove the lathe and plaster.

Nanook and Richard_ like this.
  8. Nanook

Nanook Active Member

Old thread but Deleted Member 11267 advice is good. History is not for ripping out totally and replacing. When we moved into our 1920s house, we went a bit too mad and 20 years on, I regret some of the choices we made. I’m all about conserving as much as possible now. You can keep your MDF cupboards and composite doors. If we wanted to live in a new build, we’d have bought one. There are some jobs where there isn’t any other choice other than to replace with new but where possible, be sympathetic to the building and era is my motto.