How to replace a monoblock tap

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by AGL, Jan 10, 2021.

  1. AGL

    AGL New Member

    Hi all,

    Any help would be greatly appreciated, as this is the first time I'm attempting any plumbing type work.

    I am trying to change my monoblock tap as the handle has broken off. All the YouTube videos show people upgrading from old taps, but mine is only 3 years old and already has flexi cables put in. Do I need to change everything over (i.e. Cables as well) or can I just leave the existing cables and just change the exterior tap bit? The old nuts on the cables have started to rust though where the old tap was letting some water in.

    Also the tap I have doesn't have a threaded bar section/hole to screw the tap in, just a black plastic thread connection around (in photo). I'm uncertain about to fit this and whether it will fit in the existing hole. It also has white plastic under deck mounting plate (in photo) that doesn't screw in and therefore I don't know how it will attach anywhere?

    I'm a bit worried about starting to do anything in case I get stuck and them I'm left without a tap!

    I've attached a few other photos to try and explain what I mean (under the sink, above the sink and the tap kit I received).

    Many thanks in advance
  2. terrymac

    terrymac Screwfix Select

    You have to remove the tap and its flexible hoses from the pipework , and fit your new tap and all components that come with it.
    You will also need to ammend the fittings on the supply pipework ,as your new taps Flexi hoses need a different type of fitting on the end that connects to pipework.
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2021
  3. McSport

    McSport New Member

    Turn the Hot and Cold Water off at the Isolation Valves first.
    You have to remove the Cables (Tap Tails) from the pipework. The have to be rotated to screw into the Base of the new Tap.

    This is quite a good video.
    The Large Gold Nut on your old one is instead of the part where they use the Box Wrench.

    When you come to fit the new one, remove the Black Collar from the Silver threaded Tube.
    The Tube will screw into the bottom of the Tap and poke through your Sink/Worktop.
    The Deck Mount goes over it under the Sink and the Black Collar holds it tight.

    They look the same to me. Am I missing something? :)
  4. terrymac

    terrymac Screwfix Select

    The existing Flexi hoses are connected directly to a compression straight coupler ( which is designed to have an olive / nut compressed onto a pipe ) the Flexi hoses have a flat washer / captive nut /union fitting ,and should mate upto a flat surface. So tap tail adaptors required into the existing compression coupler ,with an olive and nut.
    Think my first post wasn't written too well !!!
    McSport likes this.
  5. AGL

    AGL New Member

    Hi both,

    Sorry about my delayed reply. Thank you so so much for taking the time to help and reply! Very kind of you. That definitely helps and I think I should be able to sort it now.

    McSport and Joe the Plumber like this.

Share This Page