How to replace single bath taps with a mixer shower tap, if tap holes are 9" apart?

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by fizzy2, Nov 15, 2021.

1. fizzy2

fizzy2 Guest

Hi all

My daughter has moved into a new house.
    I told her that I'd fit a temporary bath tap mixer shower in place of the taps, but have just realised that the existing single taps have holes at circa 9" apart (wider centres than standard).

I've attached a pic so you can see. I guess the original fitter cut the holes on the narrow edge of the bath, not worrying about the standard centres of mixer taps.

Anyway, does anyone know of an 'elegant' solution to adapt from the existing holes to the hole centre of this type of hybrid bar shower/bath tap please?

Also attached a pic of the 'sort' of shower/tap I was hoping to fit.

thermostatic-bath-shower-mixer-96135854.jpg thermostatic-bath-shower-mixer-96135852.jpg IMG-20211114-WA0036.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 15, 2021
  2. I-Man

I-Man Screwfix Select

no pics attached

3. fizzy2

fizzy2 Guest

They show up for me but I was just editing straight after posting - maybe wasn't displaying properly to others!

4. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

They are showing for me, obviously included in my very rare 'Super Member' membership status unlike the 'Screwfix Select' who only receive the Troll photos.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2021
  5. I-Man

I-Man Screwfix Select

:D

6. fizzy2

fizzy2 Guest

Yes - It's great to have the super duper status privileges where you get 50% off at Wickes, Screwfix, Toolstation, B&Q. They just granted me incognito super status but told me to keep it secret.

Anyway - How would a Superman overcome the tap challenge without making a total pigs ear of it?

7. andy48

andy48 Screwfix Select

8. fizzy2

fizzy2 Guest

The only way that I have thought of, is to point the supplied deck tap adaptors at each other, then fit connect chrome tap elbows pointing away from the bath wall, to then fit the tap onto.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 15, 2021
  9. fizzy2

fizzy2 Guest

10. Tricky Dicky

Tricky Dicky Screwfix Select

Deleted member 246321 and I-Man like this.
  11. andy48

andy48 Screwfix Select

The taps in the link appear to have 230 mm centres. 230 mm = 9.06". Check before purchasing.

12. fizzy2

fizzy2 Guest

I did consider what I think you are describing, but I think you mean moving one hole inwards circa 2", so it becomes that standard spacing from one of the original hole.
    So looking at my photo, you could cut a hole close to where the plug is sat and blank the original hole. That would cause the new tap to be 'off-centre' but it could work.

Deleted member 246321 likes this.
  13. fizzy2

fizzy2 Guest

Got you - That would be brilliant because I just measured the daughters and it's 230mm! But where does it say that the centres are 230mm instead of the usual 180mm? Looks like the overall width is 230 to me?

14. dcox

dcox Screwfix Select

I would have thought the legs would convert the 150mm centres in the back of the valve (standard bar mixer centres) to 180mm (standard bath tap centres).

If that’s the case I’d redrill for the new taps and use two of the hole stoppers that Tricky showed to hide the original holes.

15. Tricky Dicky

Tricky Dicky Screwfix Select

Hi again,
    I was thinking of the new mixer fitting diagonally in the left hand corner (or right hand corner) !
    bath.jpg

16. Best way has been described above, drill one new hole to get the correct centre and blank off the unused hole.
    I would guess like a lot of baths it came with no pre drilled tap holes so whoever fitted it drilled there own holes at non standard centres. Standard centres for bath taps are 180mm, the pillars supplied allow you to go from 180mm to 150mm to fit the bar mixer. The taps Andy linked to will be 180mm centres too, with the overall width of the taps at 230mm.

17. fizzy2

fizzy2 Guest

I agree that the legs convert from 180 tap to 150 standard bar shower valve.
    I'm not sure if your idea would work, because each new hole would be pulled in by 1" and overlap the old hole/stopper - would look a right mess

18. Basically, with the centres u have, unless u can drill a new hole(or holes), then your options are limited. May be that you have to block Both old holes up and move the taps. Someone above mentioned putting it in the corner which may work, and u could probably reuse the tap hole nearest the screen if u have it that side. (Probably be impossibly to fit or get to the other side)

19. fizzy2

fizzy2 Guest

Many thanks everyone for your ideas. I've now done the job. I simply used the original bath holes, but pointed the legs facing towards each other (instead of towards the bath), screwed female to male elbows to the top of the legs (males elbow ends now pointing in correct direction at correct distance apart again), then fitted mixer shower/tap. Simples!

The legs were tight against the outer edge of both bath holes, probably because each elbow was 1.1" instead of 1" shift, but the base of the legs still covered the clearance in the bath holes.

At least she's got a shower on day 2 of moving in and when I fit her bathroom out in a few weeks time, I will reuse the tap in her new bath without the need for the elbows.

20. Well done, u were lucky the centres with the bends added worked well for you :).