how to secure batons into (possibly) breeze block wall?

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by ColdEagle, May 22, 2018.

1. ColdEagle

ColdEagle Member

hello,
    i am looking for a little advise please and am hoping someone can help me. What can i use to fit some batons to a 'breeze block' outside 'wall'?

i am not sure it is 'real' breeze block as it seems rather soft, in fact i am sure i could hammer a nail or manually screw a normal screw into it without any pilot holes - it wouldn't hold but i think this might explain the 'wall'. i can certainly drill into it with a normal, non masonry drill bit. someone elsewhere said it sounds like "thermalite" is there a way to know? or would this not change any of the answers?

the previous owners attached some fencing panels to this with vertical batons, and some of them are held very well, others not so much (at all).

i am planning on running some horizontal battens along the wall, attaching (nail / screw?) some feather edge boards directly to this to provide 'free' fencing as i have these left over from a shed.
    i know this is not the normal way to do this, as there is no frame but i am literately only going a foot or so above the height of the existing wall so am trying my luck with this half attempted diy fencing task.

i currently have some 4/5/6cm long "Forgefix Multi-Purpose Pozi Screws" and some ordinary "smooth" wall plugs (red 6mm). can i use these? or would they be unsuitable for the block?
    if not what would be suitable please?
    thank you.

couple of pics if this helps those who know this sort of thing:

wall:
    https://imgur.com/zSxORh4

old attachment location, with successful and unsuccessful holes:
    https://imgur.com/02ZLnW6

wall, next door has done the same but with a 'frame'.
    https://imgur.com/sSvKUGv

2. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Use a 5.5mm masonary bit, not on hammer action, and tap in the red plugs with a hammer (manual).

ColdEagle likes this.
  3. Jms94

Jms94 New Member

Tip for aligning the holes in the wall with holes in a batten: drill the batten first with a wood drill bit a size smaller than the screws you will be using. You can then position the batten against the wall and drill pilot holes through the batten using the same sized masonry drill bit. Once you have done this, its just a case of drilling these holes with the appropriate drill size to suit your wall plugs.

ColdEagle likes this.
  4. ColdEagle

ColdEagle Member

Brilliant, thank you, so just to confirm I should be ok using the existing generic smooth red plugs I have? Am I ok using the screws I mentioned into these? Or should I use something different or longer, due to my crackpot idea?
    Pic below in case im describing them incorrectly to someone in the know.

Attached Files:

5. ColdEagle

ColdEagle Member

Awesome, thank you :)

Jms94 likes this.
  6. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Those smooth red plugs are rubbish tbh - not good in a brick wall let alone soft block

Stupid design - should be back to the drawing board for these but, guess they sell em by the billions

Better quality plugs available for a couple quid more, look at Fischer range. Have more knobbly bits, wings, bells and whistles to help with grip, and you need it in soft block

Ok, ur not hanging shelving off the brackets I get it but still want a secure fixing that won’t blow away in the wind

malkie129 and ColdEagle like this.
  7. ColdEagle

ColdEagle Member

Thank you. My thoughts exactly, if it stays upright acting like a fence in the wind I'm happy.

To be honest that's what I thought, but they were all my local builders merchant had so thought maybe they did something I wasn't aware off.

I do have some of these left? I'm just unsure if I have enough. My original order was for another in their range (the all in one ones that you can only find I'm those multi size mini packs) but they sent these instead.

Attached Files:

8. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Yes, Dave beat me to it :)
    Much better plugs available.

9. DaveF

DaveF Active Member

In passing, if the material is very soft, cracked or generally awkward ( like close to an edge where it might crack ), a really good alternative is chemical mortar and studs. That stuff is excellent for situations that would otherwise be difficult.

10. DIY womble

DIY womble Well-Known Member

A small dot of cement or no nails acts as a good packer for uneven surfaces , also fix angle bracket to rear of baton and top of wall , and don't recommend you fix tops of fences ( yours and neighbours) , allows dampening of high wind without blowing the wall over